cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using external webcams for Zoom calls on iPadOS17?

rodneysing
Listener

Using external webcams on iPadOS17 is now supported. It works for Facetime. But I have not been able to get an external webcam working on my iPad for Zoom calls, despite having updated my iPad to iPadOS17. Are there settings to make this work, or perhaps use of external webcams on an iPad is not yet supported by Zoom? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aaroncoffman
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

@rodneysing & @fernelius -

Zoom is planning to add external camera support to iPads running iPadOS17 early next year. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

fernelius
Listener

I’ve been watching for this too.  When will Zoom be adding support?

I take notes on my iPad while in Zoom conversations.  Having the camera on my monitor while doing so rather than on my lap as a part of the iPad would be extremely helpful.

aaroncoffman
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

@rodneysing & @fernelius -

Zoom is planning to add external camera support to iPads running iPadOS17 early next year. 

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

@aaroncoffman will external audio devices be supported (if not already)?

Also, would ext camera/audio support be for Zoom Rooms for iPad, Zoom Client for iPad, or both?

aaroncoffman
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

@bstrelko - at this time, I don't have details on potential Zoom Room for iPad support of external cameras.  Unfortunately, I don't have a camera that is supported on iPad so I'm unable to test it. 

Nice we'll be able to use external webcams!

Also, will Zoom be fixing the bug, where the internal iPad camera we now use when sharing on a projector always shows on the projector in portrait mode, rather than landscape mode, which most use? Zoom software should detect the orientation of the iPad and display on the shared monitor/projector appropriately. Currently we only get portrait mode, no matter the iPad orientation. Very annoying.

Thank you for the update. We have a new hardware product that works well with FaceTime on iOS17 and have customers asking for Zoom integration.

Any updates on timing of this release to allow external webcams on the iPad?

aaroncoffman
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

@Johnhirsch This was included in our December 18, 2023 version 5.17.0 (12319) release. 
Please see the release notes for more information: Release notes for iOS - Zoom Support

I was very excited to see this update! I’m running Zoom 5.17.2 on a M2 iPad Pro with USB webcam connected. Do you enable external cameras via the switch camera button, or a different method?

With my USB webcam connected I’m running into numerous application crashes (reports submitted) and have been thus far unable to get the Zoom meeting to select the external USB camera. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just tried out my Toucan Connect external camera with zoom and it works great!  

Wonderful combination for hybrid meetings from a living room.

Thanks Aaron!

Hi Aaron -- curious if Zoom will consider enabling this feature for iPhones as well (now that they are also USB-C based)?

rodneysing
Listener

Good to know. Thanks for the update!

KB67
Listener

Just wasted $200 on a webcam.