cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Update Zoom app today - MacOS- Snap Camera feed freezes; Insta360 and FaceTime video fine

BennK
Listener

On launch today, app updated to 5.17.11 on MacOS 

Video works on FaceTime camera and on connected Insta360 Link camera.

Freezes when select Snap Camera (rely on filters)

Worked fine until this morning.

Even tried reverting to 5.17.10 and did not work

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Ah, duh - apologize for being one of the people I can't stand and not fully reading/researching. I can say that this issue has periodically popped up for several other virtual cameras (namely OBS' virtual cam and Manycam), specifically in MacOS Zoom releases. It eventually gets patched on either the v-cam or Zoom side, but does take time.

There is a designated clean uninstaller (Zoom) for Win, but not for Mac. Shame that you can't work around this via an uninstall and install of a previous version.

To you comment further down, Zoom support can be reached at zoom.us/support, but they do require you to have a specific level ($$$) plan in order to open a ticket.

View solution in original post

Yes, it is. Though a few weeks ago I did a reinstall of Snap Camera 1.21 and also did some temp file cleanup (which I can't remember now) so I can't say for sure if it was just reinstalling the 15.5 version of Zoom, or the combination of things which have solved the issue. For today, it was just about getting Zoom to work with my favorite filter. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

bstrelko

Can you confirm that the Snap Camera is not causing issues in any other applications (Photo Booth, Teams, WebEx, etc)? Just want to rule out any issues with how it's interfacing with your OS before pointing the finger at Zoom.

Also, the 'official' response you'll probably get from Zoom is to consult the list below for certified compatible cameras:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0063101#h_01F2PA151BBH089EG1CFZX09...

Snap Camera app shows image live.

worked fine on Zoom before .11 update

then freezes on selection of snap camera.

snap camera works fine on MacOS otherwise.

the FaceTime and Insta360 Link cameras are still selectable. (Though I noticed the link camera froze for 20 seconds on the first connect after update.

seems the connections should include drivers it has supported from the beginning.

tried to revert to .10 but that did not work.

Appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks

bstrelko

Sounds like good ol' Zoom!

Have you rebooted, re-seated, tried different ports already (sounds like you know what you're doing, so I'm asking this as a formality). If so, please open a ticket with Zoom and get this on their radar.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Have rebooted. Snap camera is a virtual - filter employs the image from the laptop camera, as does Facetie.  The insta360  is a separate camera and that still sees to work through a USB-C connect.

wish I had not permitted the Zoom update as I rely on some sap camera fitters.  Has worked for years until yesterday Zoom update

thank you for your assistance.

bstrelko

Ah, duh - apologize for being one of the people I can't stand and not fully reading/researching. I can say that this issue has periodically popped up for several other virtual cameras (namely OBS' virtual cam and Manycam), specifically in MacOS Zoom releases. It eventually gets patched on either the v-cam or Zoom side, but does take time.

There is a designated clean uninstaller (Zoom) for Win, but not for Mac. Shame that you can't work around this via an uninstall and install of a previous version.

To you comment further down, Zoom support can be reached at zoom.us/support, but they do require you to have a specific level ($$$) plan in order to open a ticket.

Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated.

By the way - How do I ā€œopen a ticket with Zoomā€?  Thanks

I'm having the same problem with the latest Zoom update, and I can confirm Snap still works fine with Teams, etc. -- it's only in Zoom where it's just the black screen.  Here's hoping there's a fix soon! 

Agree. Snap camera works still with other apps (ex Teams as you say).   Hoped it might adjust, but has not to this point.

NataliaE
Listener

delete 5.17.11 and install 5.15.5 version. this should help

Thank you for this. It's made my year to bring my purple sparkles filter back to my Zoom game. Otherwise, i was thinking about switching over entirely to Google Meet. šŸ˜‰

Is Snap Camera working now?

Yes, it is. Though a few weeks ago I did a reinstall of Snap Camera 1.21 and also did some temp file cleanup (which I can't remember now) so I can't say for sure if it was just reinstalling the 15.5 version of Zoom, or the combination of things which have solved the issue. For today, it was just about getting Zoom to work with my favorite filter. 

is there any way to get snap camera to work on newer versions of zoom?

I still cannot get things to work.  I hesitate to reinstall snap camera as I would lose my filters - which work fine on Teams and other platforms.  Was hoping Zoom would fix for virtual cameras by now.

ok then. i am keeping zoom v 15 until they resolve the issue! thanks!

BennK
Listener

Excellent!  I want my aviators back!!!

I know. It's a tragedy that Snap Camera got shut down and that Zoom upgrades block out the use. There are plenty of videos and resources for keeping your Snap Camera working post shutdown... many point to this https://github.com/jaku/SnapCameraPreservation. Just in case you need it.