cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime Camera Freezes Intermittantly macOS Monterey 12

MartinDeChico
Listener

I have a 2019 iMac19,1 with 96 GB of memory.  This computer worked flawlessly with Zoom for about 1 1/2  years, but now the FaceTime camera nearly always "freezes" in any and all conditions in Zoom meetings.  I believe that this has only been a problem since the Monterey OS upgrade. 

I've done all the obvious things:  I have shut down every other program running on the computer, so I only had Zoom and Mozilla Firefox running.  Still, it's crashed - sometimes when I was the only person (the host) in the meeting! 

I've turned off Background and Filters plus "Optimize Video Quality with De-Noise" and "Use Hardware Accelleration..., too 

I have also done internet speed tests; I'm getting about 190-195 Mbps downloading and 5-6 Mbps uploading. 

Zoom support originally told me that this was due to heavy internet traffic, but their latest diagnosis is that this is caused by CPU usage spikes.  However, I have concurrently monitored CPU usage while using Zoom, and the crashes don't correlate to this.   Today I had the video crash about 1-2 seconds after I started my video; the total CPU usage was at about 12% when the video froze.

2 REPLIES 2

frengo
Listener

Hi @MartinDeChico,

I think it's not a "zoom" issue. I have the same issue while using the camera with Meet and Teams too.

The camera uses a lot of CPU/Memory and freezes my computer after a while becoming unusable.

I started avoiding using the camera and my computer works very well not, so I think it's a camera issue.

I have MacOS Ventura 13.5.

Did you solve the problem?

I have the same problem, and it began on MacOS High Sierra. I'm upgraded through Ventura now, and the problem persists. Zoom continues to drop the FT camera, even after uninstall/reinstall, only using zoom, etc. This began for me in late 2023. Have you had any resolution to this problem?