cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Sharing Broken with 5.14.10 on Linux KDE Plasma Wayland

Rogergn
Listener

Screen sharing using version 5.14.10 no longer works with Linux KDE Plasma on Wayland (Fedora 38). The Share Screen dialogue just shows the Whiteboard and doesn't give the option of selecting any displays by any means. Version 5.14.7 still works correctly. A workaround is to run Zoom under XWayland with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb.

I am running Zoom with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME, otherwise it won't start at all, exiting after a couple of seconds. Incidentally, trying to sending a bug report via Help->Report Problem results in no response once Send has been clicked. Is this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rogergn
Listener

I reported this to Zoom, and they suggested the following fix which has worked for me:

1. Start the desktop client
  2. Go to Settings->Share Screen
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Change the Screen capture mode to Pipewire (it was on Automatic on mine)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Eric_F
Listener

Same problem here: Ubuntu 23.04, Gnome 44, Wayland, Zoom 5.14.10.  Kind of annoying this keep happening - is there some reason this is not tested before each release?

Rogergn
Listener

It's still broken in 5.15.0.

uarizona_casey
Listener

I'm experiencing the same issue.

JohnMsdn
Listener

Same with me despite upgrading to Zoom 5.15.2.  Running on Ubuntu 23.04 Wayland, Gnome 44.2 on Dell XPS 13 9360.

Rogergn
Listener

I reported this to Zoom, and they suggested the following fix which has worked for me:

1. Start the desktop client
  2. Go to Settings->Share Screen
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Change the Screen capture mode to Pipewire (it was on Automatic on mine)

I'm running KDE+Wayland on Debian 12. I also had to do "sudo apt install pipewire". If you try screen sharing immediately, you will have extraneous screen portal choices. After reboot, you'll be presented with the correct screen portal choices.

Edit: I was able to set Screen capture mode on Wayland set back to Auto Mode. (Actually, I must have set it back to Auto Mode and left it when trying all the options and getting nowhere until installing Pipewire.)

This fix also worked for me. I had the same issue on Fedora 39.

Why does the "Automatic" setting not work properly? I just had an interview where I couldn't share my screen. This sounds like a bug.

JohnMsdn
Listener

Rogergn.  The fix you described worked for me too. Thank you for sharing.

eduardom
Listener

Rogergn I tried that out and i could select the screen i wanna share, i start sharing but the other side only receive a blank screen, that happened to anyone?