cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Transcription (automated captioning) not an option on Business Accounts?

at_brown
Listener

We have a business account, I'm looking to enable the automated captioning/live transcription option for an upcoming meeting, but it is not listed as an option in our settings. I only have the option for manual captions.

If I log into a personal, unaffiliated account the option is there, but on our business account it is not.

Does anyone know the reason for this? I've not been able to find any documentation nor any user questions addressing this issue, everything seems to say that I should have automated captioning as an option.

Appreciate any help you can offer, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi! Prerequisites for Live Transcriptions require a Pro, Business, Education, or Enterprise account.

In addition, if your entity requires and has signed a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Zoom, the Live Transcription service can be available if enabled on your account. Please contact your sales representative to confirm the status of a signed BAA and the availability of the feature for your account.

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @at_brown.

Chances are your account admin needs to enable it. Check out the process on this Zoom Support article “Enabling or disabling closed captioning“:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4409683389709 

You might also review this article “Managing closed captioning and live transcription”, more for hosts   as opposed to admins:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207279736-Managing-closed-captioning-and-live-transcriptio... 

If the admin does this and you still can’t enable it or if you have any other related questions, come back here and let me know. Sometimes the articles can be a little technical, but hopefully your admin has dealt with these before.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thanks, Ray,
I actually went through those support articles looking for an answer before asking. I am an admin (I had them make me one so I could troubleshoot this), so have access to all the settings.

I attached screen shots of my settings - both at the user and admin levels. Where there should be "Automated Captions" there is nothing. 
I attached a screenshot of my basic account settings as a reference.

I may be missing something, but not sure what or where. 
Thanks 

My automated captioning worked the other day and now I can't even get the icon. However, at the meeting I had this morning, my "guests" were able to see the captions. I've used this computer and Zoom for 2 years and can't figure out the problem.

Very frustrated

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @TaiChi,

I'll help, if you can provide some additional information.

• Type of account: Basic or Licensed; if Licensed,  Pro, Business, Education, etc.
  • Type of device and operating system used
  • Version of Zoom Client application installed
  • Have you verified that Automated Captions is enabled for your account?  At  Personal Settings (https://zoom.us/profile/setting), go to Automated Captions:
    Ray_Harwood_0-1664385266111.png

If this is not set or greyed out, please see this Zoom Support article for additional help:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8158289360141-Enabling-automated-captions 

I have Pro, HP laptop (I will have to look to find the OS, etc.). It is weird because it worked last week when I taught a class. This morning it only shows the captions to my students, not me. I'm the one who needs the captions more than them.

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @TaiChi,

I thought of another thing that you should look at. When you have the zoom meeting open, go to the More menu on the lower right of the main menu bar at the bottom and see if it’s buried in there. Sometimes, if there’s not enough room on the menu bar, it’ll dump extra icons over into the More button’s submenu.

at_brown
Listener

An update in case anyone else tries to get this question answered (& maybe a little venting).

TLDR: No automated captions for accounts that are HIPAA compliant.

After a week of back and forth with support they finally decided that the feature is not available on our account because Automated Captions is not HIPAA compliant (& our account is). This was my suspicion, but no one I talked to knew this might even be an option.

Our Zoom rep stated we should be able to use captioning (we can use manual and 3rd-party captioning, but not Zoom Automated Captions) and sent me to support. It seems no one knows that Zoom Automated Captioning is separate from Manual Captioning and none of the knowledge base articles state that Automated Captions might not be available for some accounts.

I wish it was available for our account, but moreso I would like this information to be added to Zoom's articles on captioning.

Ray_Harwood

Thanks for your perseverance on this, @at_brown.  I've entered a comment on the Zoom article about automated captions saying that the limitations and prerequisite sections should include notice that automated captions are not available for HIPAA-compliant accounts.  Hopefully that will save some others from trudging down the same path you had to take. 

And thanks for coming back and sharing your findings!

I want to know why automatically generated captions are not available for HIPPA compliant accounts.   I understand that saving the transcript is a privacy violation, but how are deaf and hard of hearing people supposed to participate if there are no options to enable captioning during the meetings?

Just in the last 2 weeks I have started receiving an alert when using zoom to meet with clients that they have enabled closed captioning, and the option to use it has appeared on my end as well (though I've not used it).

I don't know if it's there for everyone with HIPPA compliant accounts, but I'm assuming it is available to all of us now - that or it's an accident and it will go away with my next update.

CarrieHall
Listener

Hi I have two pro accounts, one's personal and the closed captioning/live transcript works just fine but I have another one that's used for a non profit I run, and it no longer works, I don't have the option of turning on live transcripts anymore.

In my settings it's still enabled, but yet it doesn't work.

This is a huge hindrance because many autistic  individuals have auditory issues and really rely on captions (I'm hard of hearing so I really need the captions.

Bri
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi! Prerequisites for Live Transcriptions require a Pro, Business, Education, or Enterprise account.

In addition, if your entity requires and has signed a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Zoom, the Live Transcription service can be available if enabled on your account. Please contact your sales representative to confirm the status of a signed BAA and the availability of the feature for your account.

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

SWFGC-QA
Listener

Hello, I am hoping someone can help us with this issue, as I have searched for hours on end trying to figure this one out. 

We have a Business Account with a signed BAA.  We have set up an individual account under the umbrella of the business and we want this individual account to enable the Zoom Automated Captioning.  I have enabled it on our main account, however the option is not there for the individual account we set up. 

We do not want each employee to sign a BAA with Zoom, as the BAA is between Zoom and our Agency. 

Can you please advise us how to get the automated captions enabled on the individual account?

Support has directed us to contact our Account Executive, but who would this be?  We dont have a Zoom Rep specifically appointed to us. 

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

SWFGC-QA

Ray_Harwood

Have you followed the instructions at both the Admin and User levels here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6643133682957-Enabling-and-configuring-translated-captions 

SWFGC-QA
Listener

Hello Ray,  Thank you for your feedback, yes we have tried enabling BOTH the Admin and User level to allow Automated Captioning.   It is still not working.  

The user account that was created under our umbrella account has her own log in and password and I do not have access to that account, however, I have enabled it all on our agency account.  The User account does not show the option to enable Automated Captions, she says it only shows "Manual Captions" to be set. 

Ray_Harwood

Interesting, @SWFGC-QA.  I’m a little confused by your terminology (not your fault, really; there’s just not definitive terminology for some things in Zoom!).  You refer to “umbrella account” and “agency account”; I’m assuming you are an Admin (or the Owner) of these. I like to refer to these overall collections of users as the “organizational accounts” (not an official Zoom term).

Is the user account (“user”, “user login”, “user email”) listed on your Admin menu under User Management -> Users in the “Email/Name ID” column?

What I think I’m understanding is that the specific user you’re concerned with here is not listed on an organizational account that has the Translate Captions option enabled – but I could be incorrect.