cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup custom backgrounds to install on another computer.

Russ_
Listener

My customer is getting a new machine. She needs to get all her custom backgrounds off the old and move them to her new computer. Is there a way to backup and restore or export and restore the background

17 REPLIES 17

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Here are the paths where the default and custom Zoom backgrounds are stored.

Default Virtual Backgrounds:

This is the location of the default Virtual Backgrounds. These are the background images and movies that are included with Zoom:

• macOS - /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/zoom.us/data/VirtualBkgnd_Default/
  • Win10 - C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\data\VirtualBkgnd_Default/

Virtual Backgrounds Custom:

This is where any images or movies that you add as Virtual Backgrounds for the Zoom desktop application are stored:

• macOS - /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/zoom.us/data/VirtualBkgnd_Custom
  • Win10 - C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\data\VirtualBkgnd_Custom

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

I know about that folder. When I goto that folder to copy the files, all I see is files that look like this {FF063590-1868-48BC-9619-AE2F24C92BD8}. I copy the file and put in same spot on other machine and I do not see any Images

Yes - I figured out how to see hidden files and now I can navigate to the folder listed above - for the added, customized virtual backgrounds.   I have all my old files/images  (the {FF063590-1868-48BC-9619-AE2F24C92BD8} ones) - but same - when I'm in new zoom - I don't see any of the added backgrounds.

What are we missing?

Hi there - new 2023 Mac running Ventura 13.6.  I do see this folder on my old mac (for added virtual backgrounds):  /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/zoom.us/data/VirtualBkgnd_Custom

But I don't see this same folder structure on my new mac and having trouble finding where background info is stored on the new mac.

any advice?

Thanks!

actually - upon closer inspection - I don't have a "Library" folder within my username folder.

However - I'm noticing that on my old mac - "Library" looks as if it's a hidden folder, but it's still showing me it.  I don't see it at all on my new mac.  Is there a way to see "hidden" or system folders?  

From the Finder click on the Go item on the menu bar and hold down the Option key. That will toggle the menu to include the Libary folder. Select the Library folder from the list, and it will open in a new Finder window. You can then navigate a path to the folder with Zoom backgrounds. Image files are here: Library/Application Support/zoom.us/data/VirtualBkgnd_Custom. Adding .jpg to the numbered filename will make each item show as an image file.

Thanks!  but I've done that and added .jpg to the filename, but I still cannot see the images as background options in my new zoom.

If the .jpg extension doesn't exist on the original mac, why do we need it for the new mac?  once I add the .jpg, yes I can then open the image in mac preview - aka it recognizes the file as a true pic file.  but again - still no showing up in zoom.

It used to be possible that if these Data folders were copied from one computer to another, one would get all their settings back.  However, it does appear that Zoom has taken this away from us.  You certainly get treated like a new user if you delete or rename this folder.  My guess is there was a security flaw that forced their hand on this one.  So it begs the question: Why on earth would these things (basic meeting preference settings, backgrounds, meeting history, etc.) not sync with the account online?  This is almost an expectation these days.  Google Meet and Microsoft Teams do.  @ZoomTestKitchen I'd love to hear an update from you.

Rich_in_HaPA
Listener

I have the same issue. The files all got copied over when I moved from an old MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Air but they don't show up in Zoom. If I look at them in Finder I can see the preview of the image but they don't show up in Zoom. I've added some new images and they show up in Zoom and in the folder.

LoisF
Listener

I"m having the same issue. Lots of backgrounds stored in the old PC, and I can see them in the folder, but can't view them directly in Windows, as they are in some other format, or at least have the gibberish names others here have mentioned. I'd rather not have to manually re-add them on my new computer, since the process of adding backgrounds one by one is not terribly efficient.

glazerpr01
Listener

I have a similar issue. I have two profiles for Zoom I use. I am trying to slowly eliminate the second profile but want the custom backgrounds. They all seem to be in the same folder but there must be a tag in Zoom that refers to each profile. I have had no luck. 

beezneez
Listener

Has anyone figured this issue out?  I too have copied my files off my prior laptop to the new, but none of those backgrounds show on the new laptop.

AnnD1
Listener

I have a slightly different issue. For the past year I have downloaded several personal landscape photos as backgrounds for Zoom meetings. Now those images are no longer visible anywhere in my Mac Photos library; they seem to have disappeared.  I am wondering how I can retrieve those photos from Zoom and move them back to my computer.

idlewild
Listener

Is there anyone from Zoom here? 

It's kind of ridiculous that the local app can't synch settings including virtual backgrounds across devices for the same account / email address.  Users shouldn't have to copy+paste from one to the other.

Apparently no one from Zoom monitors this thread. We've been struggling with this problem for almost a year now! I sure would like to have an answer. ☹️

bmiddlet73
Listener

You just need to add .jpg to the end of each background filename. That should make your OS recognize each file as an image.

Thank you!  This worked for me. I right-clicked to open Properties and add .jpg for each file, so I could also unblock some of the files that security flagged in the transfer.  I still had to manually add each one of the background jpegs using the Choose My Virtual Background function in the Zoom app, but I was able to make them available on my new machine.