cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reduce oom bandwidth consumption?

campbellglend
Listener

We are in a remote location with cellular data only (via a WiFi hotspot).   The connection is fast, but the cost is high.  There seems to be no way to limit the video quality or otherwise reduce data consumption, other than to turn video off.   Is that true?

5 REPLIES 5

colegs
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Campbellglend,

Welcome to the Zoom Community.  Assuming you are using high-def, in the video settings, there is an option to toggle off HD video.  If you are not using HD, there is no way to toggle down the video any further.

If this answers your question, please click on "accept as solution" below.

@colegs In my case that setting is checked and grayed out, so I cannot uncheck it. How do I uncheck it in this case?

colegs

@johnpan I am not sure if you moved from a different account, but usually you cannot check the box if you don't have permission for HD, which is why it would be grayed out.  I will research further.

colegs

@johnpan The only way I can replicate this is if someone turned on HD at the account or group and locked the setting, or if they turned it on at the account or group level and the setting has been disabled by your admin through either an MSI, Group Policy or similar setting.  Do any of these situations possibly exist for you?

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @campbellglend 

For preserving incoming bandwidth (download) you can stay switched to Active Speaker view and keep your Zoom window scaled down to a small size.

If you are receiving a Screen Share from another participant in Zoom, you are somewhat at their mercy.

You might want to check your Operating System for Metered Connection settings. You may be able to throttle your bandwidth usage there.

Hope this also helps.