cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest given permission to record - where is the file?

mattfromblox
Listener

I recently attended a Zoom call hosted by someone else. I joined as a guest, and didn't have my own Zoom account at the time/wasn't logged in.

I requested permission to record the call, which the host granted, and the recording icon was present throughout the call.

After the call ended, the host does not recall seeing the video converting message, and cannot find the recording locally/in the cloud. Likewise, I cannot find the recording locally, and as I say, wasn't logged in/didn't even have an account at that time.

What has become of the recording, and how can we access it?

Many thanks in advance!

17 REPLIES 17

rebeccametea
Listener

Did you get an answer to this?   Just had the same thing happen

not yet!

mattfromblox
Listener

Since posting, I've received five emails from Zoom awarding me various badges and promotions, but not one response from support to this issue?

mattfromblox
Listener

Bumping in case support monitor these forums!

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone! 

Please review this article for steps on how to access and locate your recordings: Finding your local and cloud recordings

Note: Only host and co-host can record to the cloud. 

Please also review @ZoomTestKitchen solution here on locating your local recordings: Cannot find my local recording 

I hope this helps! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hi @CarlaA - as per my original post, I wasn't signed in (indeed didn't even have a Zoom account at that time), so I can't follow the instructions at either link to check my default recording location from that time.
Now I have created an account I can see a default folder, but that folder is empty on my local drive.

Again, I was a guest without an account, in a meeting hosted by someone else. I was the one who asked for permission to record however. So my question is, where is this recording now located?

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @mattfromblox 

In this case, with you being not signed in and granted permission to record, the only place it could be is locally on your device. The default storage location would be in your Documents folder, where you should find a Zoom folder containing other individual folders, each specific to a meeting you recorded. Its also possible that you chose to save the file somewhere elsewhere instead of the default location. 

Here's my suggestions: 

1. First, check the default location (Documents > Zoom). Each folder should be named with the date, time, and meeting name/topic. That should be able to help you track down the correct folder if there are multiple. 
  2. If not there, you will need to do a search on your entire computer. I'd suggest searching for a  "recording.conf" file, which is typically created as a by-product of the recording files.
    1. Another helpful search would be "double-click-to-convert-01", as this is what recordings are stored as before they are converted to a normal video file. If you find this file, follow the instructions here to manually convert the recording: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362753#h_01G60E4JXAJ07QEYYEPH5CHZ2P

One last thing to keep in mind, the local recording files do not transfer between devices, so if you recorded on desktop A, and since then switched to using desktop B, you won't be able to find the files on B. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Hi Bort, thanks for the more detailed response.

I do have a Zoom folder in my documents, but it is empty. And searching for both suggested filenames throws up nothing. This is the same device I was on when I was on the meeting in question.

@rebeccametea - would be interested whether Bort's solution helps you?

Hi,

I was sign in to my account. The person call me, I requested to record the meeting, they accept. The recording is NOT on default location (Documents > Zoom). Nor anywhere else. 

It's incredibly frustrating and frankly, not very professional of zoom to have this big issue. Did anyone find a solution??

Hello - I had the same issue so was reading this thread - I clicked on Carla's link and saw "Recordings started by co-hosts will only appear in the host's list of recordings in the Zoom web portal." I think that's what is going on with mine so in case it is with yours as well...!

I wasn't a co-host though, just a guest

Hi Carla, 

I have a question. If a guest recorded a meeting I was hosting, is it possible to see their email? They logged in and put a name, but did not put in their email address. Is it possible to delete their recording? Is it possible to get any information on that individual? Thank you!

Hello CarlaA and every one else,

I have the same problem.

I attended today a meeting as a guest - NOT A CO-HOST - The meeting was recorded and in addition I was granted permission to record. At the end of the meeting I did not see the pop up screen about converting the meeting recording. I know where the recorded meetings file are located - IT'S NOT THERE.

I had 3 meetings with this specific host. Only after the first I was able to locate the recorded file (after the pop up screen regarding the conversion).

I did not change anything on my computer (besides application update).

The host did recieve the pop up screen and the recorded file and will send it to me later but I wish to save him the hassle.

What's the reason for not getting the recording? could it be the update? how can I solve it?

Thank you,

Ilan

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Zoom cloud recordings always go to the host account of the person who scheduled the meeting not to someone in the meeting who was made co host. If it's a local recording it can only be on your own computer or not at all.

Regards

Thanks Frank. The Host is quite certain he doesn't have the recording either locally or on the cloud, and as I said does not recall seeing the video converting message. Going to assume it's vanished into the ether at this point sadly! Appreciate the help though!

Hey Matt, I hear exactly what you're saying.  I have the paid version and was on a zoom call and didn't log into my account for my group call with 9 other people.  We were advised by the host to record our call individually and were granted permission to do so.  Once the call ended among the group, only one person had actually recording.  We're now wondering if it could be possible only one guest can record?? Seems silly when every attendee is given the option to record.  Not sure if this helps if you didn't have a group meeting.

Tuvi
Listener

Today I had similar issue: I was invited as a guest to importnat zoom meeting, I asked permission to record and record on cloud and tree was a message recording all the time, and I stop recording at the end . But the recording file is not on my zoom cloud .  Is it possible that it was recorded on the zoom cloud of the host organisation?

thanks, tuvi