cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically muted

robvpp
Listener

When I start a New Meeting, I'm automatically muted. I don't know why Zoom would do that? Is there a setting I can change?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jose_auricchio
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi robvpp, 

As a host/co-host you can manage the behavior or the participants, including automatically muting all participants when joining a meeting, as explained here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203435537-Muting-unmuting-participants-in-a-meeting

Maybe the host of your meeting has this setting enabled.

View solution in original post

robvpp
Listener

Hi Jose,

I can't believe I didn't consider that?!

Thank you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jose_auricchio
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

robvpp
Listener

Hi Jose,

I very much appreciate your response. I've gone/been to that setting and "do not" have the "Mute my microphone when joining a meeting" checked. However, Zoom still has my microphone muted when I join another person's meeting. Would this be a Zoom problem/glitch then?

This settings change started a few months ago for me (June 2023). I too do not have "mute my microphone when joining a meeting" checked. If I join someone else's meeting, it doesn't default to mute at the start. But as the host, I am now always muted - regardless if I use my personal meeting ID or a system-generated ID. Zoom changed something and I have no idea how to change it back! I've even changed the mute setting and restarted but that doesn't impact the situation. So frustrated!!!

jose_auricchio
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi robvpp, 

As a host/co-host you can manage the behavior or the participants, including automatically muting all participants when joining a meeting, as explained here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203435537-Muting-unmuting-participants-in-a-meeting

Maybe the host of your meeting has this setting enabled.

robvpp
Listener

Hi Jose,

I can't believe I didn't consider that?!

Thank you!

BobOxford
Listener

I have a similar situation. All of my "Mute on entry" option are unchecked. I am running Zoom Webinar. I have the most recent updates for Zoom and on Windows 10. No matter what I do, I am alwayss entering the meeting Muted. Even my own meetings! I could really use some help here. This is particulary annoying.

TIA,

Bob Oxford

Hi Bob,

It wasn't an easy fix:

Zoom: The solution isn't thru Zoom, for me. None of their recommendations were successful.

Microsoft: I somehow managed to reach Microsoft, they were actually helpful ( 🙂 ), but also wasn't the solution.

HP (My Monitors are HP): Theirs also wasn't the solution.

Dell (My Laptop is Dell): SUCCESS! A Dell Support Rep was able to fix the problem. Don't ask me how, they accessed my Computer and ran troubleshooting, changed options, and Viola!

I hope you find a solution, it was aggravating and time-consuming, but ultimately working.

Rob

Rob,

Please don't leave me hanging like this! If there's any way of asking what options the Dell support tech changed, I would be incredibly thankful. I've browsed all the control panel settings related to microphones but can't find any solution myself.

Best, John

Hi John,

Please forgive me if you felt I left you "hanging like this". I thought I had answered your question. To expand, I'm not sure all of what the Dell Representative did. They accessed my computer and started changing settings, and I don't recall what other measures they took (perhaps redownloading drivers?). They go so fast that I could not follow or make enough notes.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help, you may want to contact your computer manufacturer. Note: I usually don't do this for my computer/peripherals, but in the case of Dell I was glad that I chose their Support Plan. It's been invaluable for the price. They've helped me on multiple occasions that I didn't even know/think they should have helped with.

Rob