cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Studio Display problems

MrBurns
Listener

I'm having a problem running a Keynote presentation on my Macbook Air connected to my new Apple Studio Display 

The Presentation works fine with Screen Share, BUT on a couple of slides with embedded video it goes very jerky (the sound does work)

When I unplug the Apple Studio Display and run the session just with the MacBook Air it all runs perfectly

I have contacted Apple who are investigating (the display only came out on 18th March and am hoping it's just a minor patch needed), but also concerned it may be a Zoom issue with the new Apple display

Has anyone else had this problem?

23 REPLIES 23

beckyso
Listener

Hi, I'm also having issues with my studio display on 31 March. I had a zoom call with my studio display on 26 March for about 1 hour, it was all fine. However, on 31 March, I had 2 zoom meetings both on 31 March, one with 3 people and the other one with about 10 people. My Apple Studio Display caused my zoom not able to pick up my voice, it was then frozen, I couldn't even close the zoom. I eventually had to finish the zoom meeting by logging in with my iPad instead. I had another zoom meeting on 1 Apr. I think just used the Macbook Air 2020 intel version without the Apple Studio Display, it was fine. I then realized on 1 Apr that there's a software update for both MacOS and the Apple Studio Display, I'm not sure the issue was caused by the software or by the incompatibility between zoom and Apple Studio Disaplay. I hope someone can advise how the zoom with Apple Studio issue can be fixed. Thanks.

GPK
Listener

hi - I'm also having problems with Zoom with new Mac Studio and Studio monitor.  Sometimes I get video, I can't get any audio.  Works fine on my MBP - not sure if Zoom needs to update software?  Thanks.  

rcy
Listener

I am having the same issue.  Audio is spotty and cuts out enough to be unusable. I have had many zooms prior to May 3 with the monitor and had no issues. Problems started on May 5.  Switching zoom audio to air pods helped me have a meeting. 

My issue was resolved by unplugging my studio display in order to restart it. To be clear, not restarting the mac, but literally unplugging the studio display from the wall and leaving it off for a minute.  I not had any problems with zoom since. There is no power button on the display and since the display has its own chip inside, its the only way to reset it. Hope this helps others.

I cannot believe I didn't try this right at the start. it seems to have fixed my issues as well.

Unfortunately that didn't make any difference for me. 

I have to re-start my MAC Studio every time I use Zoom to get audio to work. And even then Video continues to to be lagging and freezing. Turning video on and off in Zoom session brings the video back, but this is just no good. Its really unprofessional and unusable for working 1:1 with clients and for leading Zoom sessions. Need a fix ! Any other ideas? 

FINALLY Apple have resolved the issue! Ran the new software update for the MAC Studio including the monitor update and its all working fine now ! Please do try this. 

Thank you. I’ve just received a call from Apple US that they’ve released an update for Max OS and studio display to 15.5 recently. I’ve just updated it today, hope it will work fine. 

I applied the update but it still wasn't working...until I unplugged and rebooted the display. Now it seems to work, but I remember once before it only worked for a day or two after the reboot. Stay tuned (and keeping my fingers crossed...)

I'm having the same issue.  I have to restart my computer to get Zoom to work.  And the video looks good and then gets bit mapped.  If I open FaceTime, it fixes the video in Zoom  but then starts looking bad again.  Zoom needs to fix this ASAP.  Have you had any luck?

Yes, this helped me too. Thanks for posting. 

Thank you - I will try that!

Thanks rcy ... I had lost Zoom audio input and output. Just unplugged the studio monitor, plugged it back in again and now it's all working. Who'd a thunk?! Much appreciated. 

groukas
Listener

I've been having problems with both audio and video connecting zoom on my iMac Pro. it was working just fine until a few days ago and now I have to run sound through AirPods and turn off my video (which is frozen.) I hope they figure out what's happening soon. I can't use the studio display with zoom at all right now.

KenDC
Listener

My video freezes 3 to 5 seconds after logging on or starting a meeting.  I can't use Studio Display after successfully using it for the past month. 

LinzW
Listener

I'm running a MAC Studio with Studio Display. For an unknown reason I suddenly found Zoom video wasn't working, then video worked but audio didn't. Or audio would cut in for a moment and then disappear. Raised ticket and advised to download the IT Admin version of Zoom.  That didn't help. Finally did the old fashioned thing and unplugged Display from computer, and unplugged computer completely from mains supply. Plugged all back together, and Zoom worked fine. (!) (?) 

groukas
Listener

A number of us were having similar problems a few months ago but apple released a few updates and I personally haven't had any problems in quite a while. I also had to do the unplug/reboot thing to get it working but I haven't had to do it in over a month.  I suppose it might be possible that there is some kind of interaction with the apple studio -- I have an iMac Pro -- but I bet you're going to be OK as long as you have the latest updates for MacOS and zoom. 

BTW, I always get a laugh when I turn on video in zoom and move my camera blocker aside. Everybody says my image rises up from the bottom of the screen. they call it the 'zombie rising from the dead' display.

mfaulwasser
Listener

I´m running a Mac Studio Ultra with a second display beside the studio display. 
For some reason zoom would detect the studio camera but won´t let me select the cam.
When i disconnect the other display, everything works.
Studio display has its latest update, also tried to unplug/plug
Has anyone an idea? Thanks in advance!

That feels more like a Mac/permissions problem than a zoom problem. Maybe time to call AppleCare, but did you try looking at system preferences / privacy / camera settings to see whether you gave zoom permission to use the camera on the device?

Yep, permissions for zoom are set (unfortunately, Apple would abstract both cameras to "camera"). MS Teams and Skype both work with the camera. But yes, will have to contact Apple, thanks!

PaulAbell
Listener

This problem (or similar) is still happening in 2023! Mac Studio MacOs 13.1, Apple display. Zoom will not allow any form of Music to be heard when sharing. Speech works, but music sounds like it is being suppressed. Same settings on 2015 iMac work correctly. Originally the Display reboot worked, but only for a few days before reoccurring and now the reboot no longer works.  Mac Studio reboot as well makes no difference. All software is up to date. Can anyone help?

EricE
Listener

Just chiming in that as of April 2024, this is still a problem. But this is an issue with the Studio Display itself, unfortunately. I've had the same problem with Zoom, Google Meets, and MS Teams.

It is simply unbelievable that Apple put out such a lousy piece of hardware / software at this steep of a price. These problems have been known about for years and have still not been addressed. It is so frustrating.

Hello Eric. This one can work and came in a software update. Run a completely updated version of Zoom. Then with Zoom running and a meeting running select the Control Centre icon in the top menu bar on the right. It looks like to slider buttons. This brings up the control menu, but if and only if you have Zoom (or a similar app) running you will see a new button that is otherwise not visible. This is called ‘Mic Mode’. Make sure you do not have ‘voice isolation’ selected as ‘voice isolation’ will suppress the music. Select ‘standard’ mode. I hope this works for you.