cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitations to Scheduled Meetings in Buenos Aires Incorrectly Reference Georgetown

Bernardo2
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have noticed that invitations to scheduled meetings in Buenos Aires often include a reference to "Georgetown."

For example, the meeting invitation displays:
"Time: Jul 31, 2024 10:00 AM Buenos Aires, Georgetown."

Not only do Georgetown and Buenos Aires not share the same time zone, but Georgetown is also not a common reference point in Latin America. This reference leads to confusion as many people wonder what Georgetown means after Buenos Aires.

This issue has been persistent for many years, as I have frequently noticed that invitations scheduled in Buenos Aires include this reference to Georgetown.

3 REPLIES 3

colegs
Community Champion | Employee

@Bernardo2 - According to some sites I found online, that is the standard description for S.A. Eastern Standard Time.

Buenos Aires and Georgetown are in different time zones, that's a fact. My guess is that there is indeed some configuration file from where this discrepancy is coming. Note that the site you linked mentions the Windows Server time zones. Looking into an official Microsoft site (which seems more up-to-date), you can see the correct information:

• Guyana (GY): SA Western Standard Time (UTC-04:00) Georgetown, La Paz, Manaus, San Juan
  • Argentina (AR): Argentina Standard Time (UTC-03:00) City of Buenos Aires
  • SA Eastern Standard Time (UTC-03:00): Cayenne, Fortaleza

colegs

In my experience, a lot of the time zone processing uses providers so that they do not have to maintain global lists of daylight savings time changes, and other information which can change throughout the year.  I found multiple references, that one was just the "cleanest", but I think there are time zone providers on the back end that provide the description, and there does appear to be some basis for it.  Either that, or the provider Zoom uses is used in multiple other systems, so they all reference the same incorrect information.