cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Area Phones show offline

JHejl10
Listener

I set up a Common Area phone and assigned it to a Yealink T54W. I'm able to use the desk phone with no issues, however the status of the "Common Area" phone appears as offline to the Zoom application. The desk phone itself shows online in the account settings. So, why is it showing as offline and how do I fix it? Seeing it as offline makes it seem as if the extension/phone is not available which isn't the case. 

5 REPLIES 5

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi jhejl10,

did you convert the yealink t54w to a common area phone.  if not, here are the instructions.

How to convert an unassigned desk phone to a common area phone

You can convert a provisioned, unassigned desk phone to a common area phone without having to re-provision it.

Note: If the desk phone is currently assigned, edit its settings to unbind it from the phone user.

Sign in to the Zoom web portal.

In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management, then Phones & Devices.

Click the Unassigned tab.

Click the display name of the phone you want to convert.

Click Assign.

In the User box, select Common Area, then search the common area.

Click Add.

The desk phone will appear in the Common Area Phones tab. The desk phone may reboot several times to complete the conversion.

Note: If the common area phone is offline, reboot the phone to bring it back online.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0066552#h_f8fd4b92-0cba-4d4c-8efe-...

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot

I have completed those steps a few times before. The Yealink T54W desk phone is provisioned and assigned only to a Common Area. I have attached some screenshots to show what I mean. I have called the Common Area "Generic 1" and it's extension is 801. From my personal user account, the Common Area status shows as offline. In the Zoom account settings, you can see that the desk phone is indeed online. 

I have a feeling that this is just the way Zoom Phones are expected to work at this point. I found this Knowledge Base article about "Setting your presence status": https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065488

In the User Status icon section, it shows the offline status and icon with a description of "Contact is not signed-in to the Zoom desktop client or mobile app." Since the common area phone is only a 'certified desk phone' and not a 'zoom phone appliance', I am not figuring it will work in it's current state... I would wish that it would at least appear as online or appear like the 'available (mobile)' status.

Eliot

hi jhejl10,

what do you see when you go to admin->device management->device list->zoom phone appliances?

thanks,  eliot

I mean, I see the device. It shows online and everything. It isn't a Zoom Phone Appliance though. It would be considered an IP phone or part of Zooms certified hardware.