cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Meeting Camera rotation issue on iPad with external monitor

epiano
Listener

Hi! I have an iPad Pro M1 chip with iPadOs 16.2. When I connect an external monitor, the camera does NOT rotate in landscape mode (in the external monitor). I've tried all the possible settings in the iPad and the Zoom meeting app, without success. 

I saw this guy's video ( https://youtu.be/dWMjpN4YILw ) where apparently the camera rotation works for him with google meet, but I've tried and also, Skype, Teams, Zoom, among other video meeting apps with the same camera rotation issue across all of them!!! 

Also it would be awesome that when you share the iPad screen during a Zoom meeting, you could see in the external monitor the other person in full size video, not small square in the bottom right corner! Please Zoom developers, fix and implement this!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MichaelYuan and @YaBoiB ,

Good news!  I now have 5.17.5 (13040) installed on my 12.9” M2 iPad Pro with iPadOS 17.3 and the camera rotation is now consistently correct on my external HP 27er display attached to the iPad via a USB-C to HDMI cable. I am using the internal camera.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this issue!

Best regards, Dan

P.S. I would now like to request that Zoom make it possible to see the gallery view of attendees on the display while I am sharing the content of my iPad screen. Currently when I share the screen the app on the display does not show the gallery view. If you could point me to a forum thread that already discusses this, or you could add one, that would be great!

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

I’m running 5.17.1 on iPadOS 17.2.1. Sometimes the camera view in Zoom is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise and sometimes it looks normal. Can’t tell what action makes the difference. Will wait for 15.7.5.

Also, once this is fixed, I still need to find a solution for undocking the participants window from the main Zoom app window on the iPad, to move that to another display.  I can do this on the PC app, but not the iPad?

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Thanks all; I shared this thread with the developer. He and I are in daily comms about this now. I appreciate everyone's input to help us find the correct solution for this issue. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

iPadOS 17.2

M1 iPad Pro

currently works for me. I’m using a logitech HD1080p webcam

I’m using a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920

Sorry, need to correct this. My intermittent rotation issue is only with the internal camera on the iPad. My external camera mentioned above is on my PC, not my iPad. Will try to connect an external camera if I get a dock for my iPad, but am waiting for the internal camera to work first.

YaBoiB

Hi @danamino

I got that information straight from the iOS Zoom developer. Just letting you know. They said it would not be ready until Zoom app version 5.17.5, but I am getting reports that it is fixed already, so not sure how that is possible unless apple made a change on their end somehow. The developer asked me to get iOS versions of people that are stating that it is working for them now. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hi @danamino

After conferring with the Zoom iOS developer, he concurs with your findings that only the built-in iPad camera is affected by this issue after 5.17.0, but that will be solved in 5.17.5, which is targeted to be released on 1/14/24, so by following Monday, this should be solved. 

Could you test this solution after 5.17.5 is released and report back here that it is in working order for all that is on this thread, please? 

Thanks,

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Will do 👍

As of 1/15/24 the app on my iPad is at 5.17.2, and App Store does not show further update available.

Could you advise when 5.17.5 is available in the App Store for iPad?

Thank you, Dan

YaBoiB

Hello @danamino

We released it on 1/14/24, but sometimes it takes Apple a couple of days to allow it on the app store. Sorry, I should have told you that from the get go. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

No worries Brandon,

I'm checking the app for updates each day.

Best, Dan

YaBoiB

Hi @danamino

I believe that our release was delayed a bit, but the version 5.17.5 (13401) should be in the app store in the next couple of days. I am trying to remember to check every day as well because I have another customer that is having this issue. I will make sure to report back here when I see it. 

Thanks for everything, 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

@danamino , 

I checked this morning and 5.17.5 was available for me. 

Technical Writers have placed the bug fix in the release notes for this version as well. 

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0069041

Please let me know if this is working for you. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I only see version 5.17.2. I have been checking About in the app and checking the App Store every day.

YaBoiB

Hi @danamino

Try to kill the Zoom app ( swipe up) and then go to the app store and see if you have an update with 5.17.5 (13040) that is what I had to do to get it to update for me. Let me know if you still do not have it. It shows in my app store that Apple released it four days ago. 

Thanks, 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

danamino
Listener

That's what I've been doing each day. The App Store just shows 'Open', not 'Update'.

YaBoiB

For some reason, I was thinking about my iPhone, but I just went and grabbed my iPad and it was on version 5.17.5 (13040) so I am not sure what is going on, but, I am checking with Zoom Engineering to find out if they know something about why some users can get the update and others cannot. Just off the top of my head, I think that Apple may release the version in waves, like we do, so as not to overload their servers, but four days is too long for this version to not have gone out to everyone. I will stay on top of this for you and find out why you cannot download the correct version. Btw, I did not do anything to my iPad, I just had to log in and check the about section of my zoom app and I was already on the correct version, so this is very weird. 

Do you allow for automatic updates on your iPad? 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Many thanks Brandon,

Yes, I have auto updates on my iPad.

Best, Dan

YaBoiB

Hello @danamino

Okay, I got word back from the Engineering team. Here is their response verbatim. " For app distribution, not all users will be upgraded simultaneously. On the first day when the app was available (released to Apple from Zoom) there is only 1% of the users received the update; second day 5%, the third day 8%....7th day 100%"

so it should be in the app store soon for you, because it shows me in the version history that it was released four days ago.

Thanks, 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hello, I have version 5.17.5 (13040) and the problem remains

MichaelYuan
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi @Yuliano26, I'm sorry that this problem bothers you. Can you provide your iPad device model and iPadOS version? Are you using an external camera or the iPad built-in camera?

And also I want to make sure that the use case here:

1. Connect your iPad with an external monitor via cable. (Usually use a USB-C to HDMI adapter)

2. Checking your mirror display setting. Go to iPad Settings > Display & Brightness and ensure the Mirror Display is turned off.

3. Open Zoom client on iPad and start a Zoom meeting. Make sure your video is on.

4. Tap the three dots(...) at the top center of the screen and select "Move to display"

5. The Zoom client is moved to the external monitor. Check whether the video is rotated.

If there is any special use case, please let me know.

Hi @MichaelYuan and @YaBoiB ,

Good news!  I now have 5.17.5 (13040) installed on my 12.9” M2 iPad Pro with iPadOS 17.3 and the camera rotation is now consistently correct on my external HP 27er display attached to the iPad via a USB-C to HDMI cable. I am using the internal camera.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this issue!

Best regards, Dan

P.S. I would now like to request that Zoom make it possible to see the gallery view of attendees on the display while I am sharing the content of my iPad screen. Currently when I share the screen the app on the display does not show the gallery view. If you could point me to a forum thread that already discusses this, or you could add one, that would be great!

MichaelYuan
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi @danamino, I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. For viewing attendees while sharing screen feature requests, I'm not sure whether there is an existing thread but I have already noted and will discuss it internally.

YaBoiB

Hello @danamino

Can you DM me your email address so that we can work out a time to get together, and I can record and submit a formal Feature Request for the gallery view issue? I can get that to @MichaelYuan team to review. 

Thanks again for all of your assistance on this particular issue, I have marked this thread as the accepted solution. 

Kind regards,

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

@MichaelYuan ,

I created a formal FR about this and assigned it to you. 

Thanks, 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion