Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam not displaying video - Mac OS 14.1.1 Sonoma

AndrewNZ
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

I have an M1 MacStudio with an Apple Thunderbolt Display which has a built in webcam (known as FaceTimeHD Camera).

When running MacOS Monterey, the video feed from this camera worked. Since 'upgrading' to MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1 the Zoom preferences recognises the camera it is connected to, the computer displays the icon in the menu bar that the camera is in use, but no video preview appears in the Zoom preferences - the window is black.

I checked to see if this was just a bug with the preview in preferences, by starting a meeting. No video displayed, although I did get a message from the Zoom app that said 'Virtual Background is still loading. Start video anyway?' (The buttons offered the option of 'Don't use video' and 'Use video'. No video displayed after clicking 'Use video' and waiting several minutes. I then disabled virtual background in the preferences and tried again, but still had no video displayed in system preferences or in a meeting that I started.

Is this a known bug with Zoom version 5.16.10? If not, please can Zoom investigate and can other users let me know in the replies if this affects them too.

Thanks,

Andrew

18 REPLIES 18

Jennife
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Hi Andrew,

we haven't received the relevant issue report yet, would you please submit a ticket to us? 

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/contact?id=contact_us

AndrewNZ
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for getting back to me. I have now submitted a ticket.

RN
Community Moderator | Employee

Hi @AndrewNZ for any escalation, I would recommend continuing your conversation with your Zoom Technical Support agent, as they have the internal resources to resolve this. Please let me know if you need any additional help from the community.

Please share any troubleshooting steps that Zoom Technical Support suggested to resolve your issue for other community members who may be experiencing the same issue.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

jnowlen
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am experiencing this as well- video image is just 'black' even when I elect to 'Start video anyway?' - no display. Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81)

Hi,

May I have your machine model info? do you also use an Mac mini?

Hi,

Some searching online suggested this was an operating system problem, rather than a problem with the Zoom app. When I followed the instructions on this Apple Support page, the video feed for Zoom was restored (along with fixing various other display issues I had encountered after installing Sonoma).

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT213969

Andrew

And now the video signal has again gone from Zoom, so this would seem to be broader than just a MacOS video system problem, as the steps in the Apple Support document have worked to restore video in FaceTime, but it's not provided a lasting solution for Zoom.

I am as well on macOS Ventura 13.6.4

panchovanilla
Newcomer
Newcomer

Exactly the same issue -- after every IOS update, I have at least one terrible meeting where none of my cameras work (built cam nor external cam) and I have to join the zoom from my phone to be seen. It's super frustrating, and honestly why I may abandon zoom. I should not have to tweak settings every single time I do a basic IOS update. Several meetings have been seriously disrupted by this bug.

ecdemarchi
Newcomer
Newcomer

same issue, Sonoma 14.2 (23C64), iMac20,2

emzeman
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am experiencing a variation on this problem since upgrading to Sonoma. Both my camera and microphone are recognized by Zoom (I can make changes in Zoom's audio and video preferences), and I have granted the appropriate permissions,. However, once I start up a Zoom meeting, the "Mute-Unmute Mic" and "Start-Stop Video" buttons do not work. (They stay as "muted" and "video off".)

I have another Mac that's still running Ventura, and everything works fine there.

chichiJ
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same issue.

chichiJ
Newcomer
Newcomer

Is there any resolution? I have exactly the same issues as described, my video is just black, even though it's technically recognized by Zoom. Last call I had to use my phone for camera. 

I have the same problem. The workaround I found is starting FaceTime every time I turn my zoom video on. That makes the video appear and I can close FaceTime. But this is extremely annoying. I hope they find the problem and fix it soon!

AndrewNZ
Explorer
Explorer

Further experimentation on my part indicated that the problem occurred only when I was using Firefox as my browser. It also seemed to affect the ability of other apps to display correctly. When I switched to using a different browser (Brave), Zoom video worked OK.

darkavich
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same exact problem with 14.4. From what I can determine this is a problem with the virtual background. When I turn it off it's fine. If I turn it on I disappear. If I select Blur, then the background and myself are blurred. This happens with both built-in and USB camera.

So for some reason zoom things the image is part of the background.

quantumlondon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Same issue here. The Zoom app recognises that my webcam exists but does not capture the video from the webcam. As suggested above, this was solved if I switch on FaceTime. Then both Zoom and FaceTime see the video output from the webcam.

I tried to troubleshoot with the setup tool for the webcam (EMEET). I can see the video from the webcam using the EMEET software up to the moment I start a meeting in Zoom. Then the image freezes on the EMEET software. 

So, clearly something in the Zoom app is responsible.

Zoom Workspace 6.1.10 (38818)

Sonoma 14.6.1.

EMeet HD webcam C960

MGSR

Hello @quantumlondon,

Welcome to the Zoom Community! We're glad to have you here.

Can you kindly update your Zoom to the latest version (6.1.11) and let me know if it helps?

Mark
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?