cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video playback buffering in presenter mode in PowerPoint

Amber6
Listener

Hi anyone having any issues with video playback since latest upgrade? Sharing PowerPoint in presenter mode my videos are buffering!  I can play video perfectly with no buffering when sharing ful screen but having consistent problems in presenter mode. No solutions yet from Zoom customer services

8 REPLIES 8

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer

Buffering is typically a computer processing power issue. Even though i have a high end computer system with a powerful GPU (with 4 screens) and the latest i7 CPU I would not use PowerPoint to play videos because it requires a lot of processing power. I still use OBS Studio to play slides and videos because it performs better and is much more versatile than PowerPoint. If you have something less than an i7, or no separate GPU, or less than 16GB of memory you may want to try your presentation on a higher end computer.

MikeButson
Listener

I have the same problem and use a powerful Mac computer. It worked fine until about 5 - 6 months ago. The transitions and animations are choppy and slides hang. I now use regular slideshow in zoom and it works, but loses the advantage of notes in the presentation. And yes, I do the advanced share with portion of screen. Bottom line--something was changed and the system is less than it was before.

storyhub

If you are putting keynote into full screen mode in macOS, screen share your Desktop, instead of the individual application. https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068551

If it is just the transitions and animations that are choppy then check "optimize for video clip" before sharing.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Amber6 @MikeButson regarding @storyhub's response, did you improve your sharing experience by checking the "optimize for video clip" option before sharing? If so, excellent!

If you're still experiencing issues, check your Zoom desktop client settings under Share Screen > Advanced. Unchecking "Use hardware acceleration to optimize video sharing" may improve your experience by utilizing or freeing up computing resources.

Try adjusting those settings and let us know if it helped! If so, make sure to click the "Accept as Solution" button on the most helpful reply! Thank you!

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I've been having the same problem with choppiness when screen sharing PPP-embedded videos. The choppiness extends to the sound and not just the video. I've checked the "optimize for video clip" box and stopped advanced sharing of my "presenter view" - using "basic" screen sharing of my entire screen.

This seems to eliminate the choppiness when I start a new meeting and test the screening sharing of the embedded video. If it runs smoothly in my end using this test method will it also work when I'm screen sharing in a "real meeting". Or, should I test that by inviting people into a test meeting to check out what they see and hear on their end?

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @TKMoore theoretically speaking, this should work with the settings you have enabled for both parties. To test, you could invite another user to the meeting to get their POV and experiences. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

MikeButson
Listener

Unchecking "Use hardware acceleration to optimize video sharing"  did not have an effect, but it looks like the issue occurs only when I do advanced screen sharing and "portion of screen," which is what is needed to use presenter view. It worked perfectly in the past, but the past few months, something happened in the system to make it shift. I tried it on several different computers and the same issue came up. I modified by making separate notes and going to full screen Powerpoint share. Not a great solution, but it gets the job done.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@MikeButson thank you for the reply! This is helpful, I am almost thinking this maybe a FPS refresh when using portion of screen where things maybe a bit choppy. At this time, I don't believe we can adjust those refresh rates, but just capping them.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 11.42.34 AM.png

When sharing screen, there is a Normal Share is optimized for sharpness (not checking "optimize for video clip") while Video Share for smoothness, that video share is when you check "optimize for video clip", which we would think would help when presenting animations in video or in presentations (power point). I couldn't find much as to resource utilization and fps capturing methods when using the advanced setting for only sharing a portion of your screen. The last thing I could think of is ensuring you screen capture mode being set to Auto within the Share Screen advanced settings. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his