Introducing the new Zoom Community Champion Program where we recognize our most engaged community members for their contributions.

Learn more and join
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an external speaker while sharing music via Zoom

klemone42
Listener

I teach an exercise class via music Sharing Music. Recently, we tried to hold the class in a gym with additional live folks. We needed an external speaker for the folks in the gym to hear. But, whether we plugged it in or used Bluetooth, the Zoomers could no  hear well. I think the music may not have been Shared when we plugged in the speaker. How can I use the music over Zoom and with a Mic? 

4 REPLIES 4

Alex_PFT
Participant | Zoom Partner

Hi,

If you mean that you were trying to play music with a speaker, and you want that audio to be captured by your mic so the participants can hear it, it is not going to work well. Zoom will see the music as background noise and will try to cancel it. You should try to share the audio to your participants in the meeting ,from computer, and from that same computer select your bluetooth speakers for your audio. 

Sharing computer sound in a screen share – Zoom Support

Alex

zoom@pft 

klemone42
Listener

Not sure I was clear. I do share the  music from my computer to my (virtual) class. Works well.

But, I wanted  to add some live students in a large gym at the same time. The sound from my computer’s speakers was too soft in the big space. So we plugged in (tried both wire and Bluetooth) an external  speaker. Worked great for those in the gym. But the Shared music over Zoom degraded too much for them to hear. 

Alex_PFT

You could use Original sound, that way the music you will play in the gym wont be cancel by Zoom's echo cancellation and audio-enhancing features. So you wont need to share your audio, just play it in the room and your mic will pick up the music and your participants will be able to hear it that way.

Using and preserving original sound in a meeting – Zoom Support

Alex

zoom@pft 

klemone42
Listener

Just thought I'd get back on this. Original sound does not really broadcast. It seems to cut out frequencies. It might be set for "voice". Music needs wider frequency. The virtual folks really could not hear the music well. I have noticed this myself in Zoom yoga classes where instructors play music for those in the studio. Often it is horrendous.