cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo recording PLEASE!

frednow
Listener

Please, please, please allow stereo recording of meetings. PLEASE! I'm sure Zoom is aware that at least tens, if not hundreds of thousands of musicians use Zoom; stereo sound for music is crucial. This is 2022 ... we can send robots to Mars, why can't we record Zoom meetings in stereo? Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

DoctoraMaru
Listener

I cannot agree more! Voice sounds like an aluminum tin!

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @DoctoraMaru @frednow ! I just realized you didn't receive a reply to your post. Please check out the following knowledge base article and let me know if it helps 🙂 Enabling stereo audio . 

I think this might be what you both are looking for. 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks for your reply, Carla. However, I don’t think you understand the request: stereo sound when recording a Zoom meeting.

From the article you linked to:

Recordings and the Zoom mobile app don't support stereo audio (audio will be mono).”

I already know how to enable stereo sound in the meeting; I want to be able to record stereo sound as well. 

In another post i have read that it is not allowed in Zoom to record stereo. You can listen stereo but not to record.  Anyway you are lucky , i cannot ever make my music listened in stereo for my students: it is in mono and of low quality

Enrico, in order to play music in stereo for your students, choose:

Share Screen > Advanced > Computer Audio and then click the tiny downward-pointing caret to the right where you'll find a choice of Mono or Stereo (High-fidelity)

Then click Share in bottom right corner.

To get the audio recording in stereo I use a separate app (Audacity) to record the audio, selecting Speakers (loopback) as the  Recording Device.  This recording is stereo, unlike the Zoom recording which is still mono.

So, you have audacity running in the background at the same time you are in a zoom meeting and it saves to the computer and/or within the app?  Will this work with either Quicktime or GarageBand, as well? (I have Audacity, just not as familiar with it.) 

Thanks,
Caat

Also, thank you for letting me know that Zoom is only mono. I've gone crazy trying to re-do settings thinking it will help. It hasn't. I'm guessing it's still the same now in July as it was in March when you wrote this. 

Correct.  With Audacity, you have the option to select your input device, and you must choose Speakers loopback, that is, your recording source is the Zoom output to the speakers.  I don't know if there is an equivalent setting for Quicktime and/or GarageBand, but you can easily install Audacity, which is very simple to use.  It is really insane that Zoom uses all the resources required to give you stereo output but it fails to record it as stereo.

I suspect the reason people at Zoom don’t want to allow stereo recording is that it might make files too big in their cloud. There are many ways to circumvent this issue on their side:

- Make it optional;

- Allow only local recording when users wish to record their meeting in stereo;

- Charge  a small extra for this feature; etc.

again, I can’t believe Zoom haven’t realized how important this feature is for many of us.

It makes no sense to save the tiny amount of additional storage that would be required to record in stereo with decent quality, compared to the storage required by the video recording!  It looks like a lazy developer grabbed a piece of software that he found in another app and plugged it into the Zoom recording module without thinking about the details.

Omg. We are musicians and know, of course, how to enable stereo/hifi mode during meetings. The issue here is for the meeting’s RECORDING.

slacasse
Listener

I have been asking this for years and the people at Zoom don’t seem to understand how important this is for a lot of us.