cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Window/App is black in Fedora 36 zoom 5.12.6 and earlier

DenisZ
Listener

I've tried having a meeting from 2 different computers (one fresh install Fedora36 -laptop with 2 additional displays -1 xFHD, 1x 4k) and starting to share window it shows message preparing screen sharing and never goes to green, and nobody can see content of the shared app.  The other laptop with FHD display shows green bar shared screen, but still no picture is shared.  I tried enabling TCP in "Advanced Options" but result is the same.

There appears the icon on the top bar (dark yellow ) screen sharing which has an option to stop it, so it seems it is sharing, but no picture goes across.  I even tried different applications (Impress - Presentation, VLC, FireFox,   Writer) but always blank screen

Any clues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DZv
Listener

I've tried fresh install of Fedora 36 / zoom on older HP Pavilion Laptop with discrete GPU nvidia MX150, and the sharing works on zoom 5.12.6.  Screen can be seen  on clients, but when installing nvidia driver and rebooting it won't work anymore, and clients will only see black screen. 

So it looks it has something to do with Nvidia driver, although starting meeting through Firefox works well, and sharing window is displayed on client sides, though video from my camera (Nikon Z6 via HDMI 2 USB capture adapter) is distorted (squeezed to 4:3 ratio) and there is no option to choose HD as a video.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DenisZ
Listener

I've tried downgrade to zoom 5.11.10 and 5.11.9 and still same black screen persist.  Nothing is visible when sharing. 

Bellow download links for those that are interested of testing

https://cdn.zoom.us/prod/5.11.10.4400/zoom_x86_64.rpm

https://cdn.zoom.us/prod/5.11.9.4300/zoom_x86_64.rpm

Regards

DenisZ
Listener

Working through Firefox however works absolutely fine.  So it's obviously client problem, and not GNOME/Wayland/Fedora or some configuration.

It also works fine with multiple displays and sharing higher than FHD resolutions. As well as it is properly displayed with clients/students with no scaling or other issues.

DZv
Listener

I've tried fresh install of Fedora 36 / zoom on older HP Pavilion Laptop with discrete GPU nvidia MX150, and the sharing works on zoom 5.12.6.  Screen can be seen  on clients, but when installing nvidia driver and rebooting it won't work anymore, and clients will only see black screen. 

So it looks it has something to do with Nvidia driver, although starting meeting through Firefox works well, and sharing window is displayed on client sides, though video from my camera (Nikon Z6 via HDMI 2 USB capture adapter) is distorted (squeezed to 4:3 ratio) and there is no option to choose HD as a video.

I've tried to enable nouveau driver, by removing:

rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1

from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=

in /etc/default/grub.conf

and ran

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

rebooted

and "lsmod" shows me nouveau driver loaded, but sharing in zoom still blank screen

I've successfully upgraded to Fedora 37 with Gnome 43 and Wayland, currently nouveau module loaded and I'm able to share Window successfully.  It looks like it's really working with nouveau driver.  I haven't notices any performance issues either with 2 monitors