cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Default Windows for start-up on dual monitor setup?

HVance
Listener

I'm currently using Zoom on a dual monitor setup. I've come to like having my video full screen on one monitor with the chat and participants boxes in a particular position on the other monitor. Currently, I have to re-set this up each time I sign into a meeting.

Is there a way to set my configuration as default so that it loads in with those windows open and where I want them each time I enter a new meeting? 

Thanks,

HVance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

@HVance , Specticle (spectacle app.com) used to be the go window management app for the Mac. Unfortunately, the app is no longer being maintained, although you can still download it.

If you take a look at this link you'll see several alternatives to Spectacle. A popular replacement is called Rectangle, due to it being free and open source.

I'm also looking at Magnet which I believe has the snapping while you drag-n-drop. It's a paid app, in the AppStore for 7.99 US.

If you give Rectangle a try I found that there are even more screen position definitions to choose from by clicking on the bottom-left corner of the app (it's not super obvious). I tried the "First Third" and "Center Third" for the participants and chat windows.

Hope this helps. If so, please click on "Accept as Solution"

If you happen to find a solution that you really like that I didn't mention, please reply to this post so I can take a look, too.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZoomTestKitchen

I am not aware of a way to have Zoom to save and use a default screen layout. If you're on a PC this is how I manage it.

I use Microsoft PowerToys, and in PowerToys is a module called FancyZones. FancyZones let's you create custom screen layouts, save them, and designate which is your default on which monitor. Then when you maximize your Zoom window which causes the Participants and Chat windows to float you can Shift->Drag-n-Drop your Participants and Chat windows into their defined zones. The windows will snap to the containers as your mouse gets near, and resize to their defined size.

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

ZoomTestKitchen_0-1662666211685.png

ZoomTestKitchen_2-1662666444053.png

@ZoomTestKitchen

Thanks, Jeff. Are you aware if there is a similar program for Mac? 

ZoomTestKitchen

@HVance , Specticle (spectacle app.com) used to be the go window management app for the Mac. Unfortunately, the app is no longer being maintained, although you can still download it.

If you take a look at this link you'll see several alternatives to Spectacle. A popular replacement is called Rectangle, due to it being free and open source.

I'm also looking at Magnet which I believe has the snapping while you drag-n-drop. It's a paid app, in the AppStore for 7.99 US.

If you give Rectangle a try I found that there are even more screen position definitions to choose from by clicking on the bottom-left corner of the app (it's not super obvious). I tried the "First Third" and "Center Third" for the participants and chat windows.

Hope this helps. If so, please click on "Accept as Solution"

If you happen to find a solution that you really like that I didn't mention, please reply to this post so I can take a look, too.

@ZoomTestKitchen

Awesome! Thanks so much, Jeff!