cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone not working with Zoom on Windows 11

AnitaE
Listener

I have recently got a new laptop with Windows 11. I can't get the built in microphone to work with Zoom. I am able to use the microphone with other programs and apps, so know it works. I have followed many troubleshooting suggestions online with no luck. Is there anything I can try? Thanks!  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JeffinLAS
Listener

UPDATE: 

It's the Bang & Olufsen app that is causing it - at least mine now works!

Open the B&O app, select Noise Cancellation and turn OFF "All noise removal applied to input device".

Mic test in Zoom!

(I found this repair in another thread)

Same problem.  It worked on July 24th and the next time I used it on July 31st it didn't work.

On one of my attempts and restarts I did get a notification the Windows Privacy was blocking the microphone but I've tried all the options / recommendations to no avail.

I'm using an 8-month-old HP Envy Laptop with Windows 11.

I looked at my driver updates and there are several that have installed since the 24th.  Do any of you think it could be a driver?  (I am computer illiterate - know just enough to get in trouble!) 

The drivers that were updated are Intel and Realtek.

View solution in original post

Hooroy
Listener

In case it may help, here are the steps I took:

1. Click Start.
  2. Type “bang” on the keyboard (no need to involve the Search box) to show the Bang & Olufson Audio Control app -- click the app.
  3. Wait a few seconds for the B&O splash screen to automatically disappear.
  4. At the top of the B&O dashboard that appears, click “NOISE CANCELLATION”.
  5. Maximize the “NOISE CANCELLATION” screen to be sure you see the On/Off toggle buttons on the right.
  6. Click the down arrow at the right of the "AI Noise Removal applied to input device" dropdown box to display your PC’s input (mic) devices. In my case, I use only my HP Envy's built-in mic (that is, no external mic, etc.). The “AI Noise Removal …” dropdown box shows the two potential audio input devices present on my system, namely “Microphone Array” and “Stereo Mix”. 
  7.  Open your Windows Settings>System>Sound screen and look under “Input”  to see which audio input device your PC uses; mine is “Microphone Array”.
  8. Returning to my “NOISE CANCELLATION” screen in the B&O app, since the “AI Noise Removal …” feature is the culprit causing my mic in Zoom not to work, I select Microphone Array and click the OFF toggle next to it.
  9. That’s it! Now click the “X’ at the top right to exit the B&O app.
  10. To check that this solves the problem, go to Settings in Zoom, click “Audio” in the menu at the left, and click “Test Mic” in the “Microphone” section. I verified the dropdown box next to “Test Mic” showed the active input device (“Microphone Array …”  in my case).

Hopefully this resolves the issue, at least for an HP Envy. It may also work on other Win 11 PCs that use the Bang & Olufson Audio Control app.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

ledwalds
Listener

the only thing that works for me is plugging in ear buds that have a microphone.  I can then be heard on a zoom call. But this is very frustrating! 

jwortz10
Listener

I'm having the same problem.  I have a HP Laptop running Windows 11 and a built in microphone  (Microphone array Intel Smart Sound Technology for Digital Microphones).  I've had HP run diagnostics on the laptop and all tests run successfully.  Other apps that use microphone work correctly.  HP says the problem is with Zoom.  I'm running the latest release of Zoom (5.10.1 (  4420).  Can someone  suggest a solution?

Search B&O app in widows. Open the B&O app, select Noise Cancellation tab which is available on top of the widow and turn OFF this option "All noise removal applied to input device". both options must be off. I hope your problem is solved using this thing.

lreinbach
Listener

I am having the same issue. I recently upgraded to Windows 11. My microphone is working on all other apps but does not work on Zoom. I will try the headphones solution but I am looking for an update.

I followed the suggestion below to turn off enhanced sound. When I went to my setting the default was already turned off. So then I deleted my zoom desktop client and reinstalled it. Tested the microphone and it is now working! I am using a brand new HP Envy laptop with Windows 11.

jwortz10
Listener

I found the problem with the microphone not working in Zoom is that Windows 11 has a setting that was turned on that enhances the audio. Apparently Zoom doesn’t like to have the advanced audio setting in windows 11 turned on.  Try to turn the switch off by going to the Windows settings, then click on system, go down to input, click on the microphone array under input setting, turn the enhanced audio switch off.   Hope that helps. 

Help, I follow all instructions, still cannot get zoom to work with my surface laptop 3 with Win 11. The speaker and mic all can work with other software, just not with Zoom, HELP!!!!!

Didn't work for me either. Any other ideas?

Didn't work for me either.  I was on with zoom support for 2 hours today.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am having the same problem with my Samsung 360 laptop Windows 11. With so many of us having this problem with Zoom, I am extremely frustrated that Zoom hasn't solved this issue yet. I have to run Zoom on my older Apple tablet and log in as a guest in order to be able to hear others in the meeting properly. I really wish Zoom would fix this issue already.

Have tried.  Failed to detect  mic 

HBTjacket
Listener

Well I'm in the same boat. The integrated microphone on my HP Envy doesn't work on Zoom but does work on other apps. No solution yet.

JAB2
Listener

Same problem here. I've tried to turn off the ehanced audio, but still not working. Any solution?

Hng
Listener

I have similar problem. Built in mic is not working on Zoom in Window 11. I have reinstalled Zoom but did not solve problem. Requested support from HP. After several trials, HP technical support could not solve issue.  Solution is to wait for update from Window 11, patches .

Dear HNG,

The other solution can be:

Start a meeting on Zoom. Click the arrow showing upside near by the mic (where you see "mute" - on the left side at the bottom), click the "Advanced" for configuration, select OFF Windows-Row on signal processing by windows audio device drivers.

Hope that all go well.

JeffinLAS
Listener

UPDATE: 

It's the Bang & Olufsen app that is causing it - at least mine now works!

Open the B&O app, select Noise Cancellation and turn OFF "All noise removal applied to input device".

Mic test in Zoom!

(I found this repair in another thread)

Same problem.  It worked on July 24th and the next time I used it on July 31st it didn't work.

On one of my attempts and restarts I did get a notification the Windows Privacy was blocking the microphone but I've tried all the options / recommendations to no avail.

I'm using an 8-month-old HP Envy Laptop with Windows 11.

I looked at my driver updates and there are several that have installed since the 24th.  Do any of you think it could be a driver?  (I am computer illiterate - know just enough to get in trouble!) 

The drivers that were updated are Intel and Realtek.

Same here HP Envy Win11 laptop 5 months old. 

I'll know in a few hours on my next zoom call but I think I finally found the answer in another thread!

It's the Bang & Olufsen app that is causing it - at least my "test mic" now works!

(fingers crossed - its taken a week to figure out)

UPDATE: This fixed my problem, and hopefully yours!

Fixed zoom on my new HP Windows 11 PC.  So frustrating! Other apps worked with the internal mic.

Agreed, You are the greatest person in the world!!!

Thank you! It works! I've been working on this for days, with blood on the wall from banging my head against it...but now it works!

You are the greatest person in the world. 

Thank you for your method. I have tried this and it worked! Enhance audio setting must be turned off too.

I'm also using HP Envy with Windows 11

This worked for my HP Envy Windows 11. My zoom mic is working now. Thank you for posting.

After hours of struggling with this same problem, I ran across your suggestion and another on this thread. Yep - it was the Bang and Olufsen app suppressing the sound of my brass instruments - very covertly. Funny that Bang and Olufsen is printed plainly on my new HP laptop. Many thanks!!!

Yaaaay! This worked after trying to solve all day. Thank you🙏🏻

Hng
Listener

Have tried all suggestions from zoom community and other sites.  And HP technical support can't resolve this problem. 

Hi Hng,

Try this out,

iyou are using laptop, where both the microphone and camera are built internally, which they most likely are, you can try to do all the actualizations and grant permissions separately for the camera as well because they operate in parallel. Good luck!

Hooroy
Listener

In case it may help, here are the steps I took:

1. Click Start.
  2. Type “bang” on the keyboard (no need to involve the Search box) to show the Bang & Olufson Audio Control app -- click the app.
  3. Wait a few seconds for the B&O splash screen to automatically disappear.
  4. At the top of the B&O dashboard that appears, click “NOISE CANCELLATION”.
  5. Maximize the “NOISE CANCELLATION” screen to be sure you see the On/Off toggle buttons on the right.
  6. Click the down arrow at the right of the "AI Noise Removal applied to input device" dropdown box to display your PC’s input (mic) devices. In my case, I use only my HP Envy's built-in mic (that is, no external mic, etc.). The “AI Noise Removal …” dropdown box shows the two potential audio input devices present on my system, namely “Microphone Array” and “Stereo Mix”. 
  7.  Open your Windows Settings>System>Sound screen and look under “Input”  to see which audio input device your PC uses; mine is “Microphone Array”.
  8. Returning to my “NOISE CANCELLATION” screen in the B&O app, since the “AI Noise Removal …” feature is the culprit causing my mic in Zoom not to work, I select Microphone Array and click the OFF toggle next to it.
  9. That’s it! Now click the “X’ at the top right to exit the B&O app.
  10. To check that this solves the problem, go to Settings in Zoom, click “Audio” in the menu at the left, and click “Test Mic” in the “Microphone” section. I verified the dropdown box next to “Test Mic” showed the active input device (“Microphone Array …”  in my case).

Hopefully this resolves the issue, at least for an HP Envy. It may also work on other Win 11 PCs that use the Bang & Olufson Audio Control app.

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue to work.   I'll restart my computer and keep testing it for a few days!!

Thank you!  You rule the world!

AlexKT
Listener

I have tried all options, running on an HP EliteBook 840 G8 also with the Intel SmartSound integrated microphone... 

Turned off all enhancements for all devices on the HP/Bang & Olufsen app for both recordint and playback, also on Windows Sound Settings turned off enhancements, priority access and several other suggestions on different how-to's but still, Zoom says there is something wrong with my mic and please select a different device. 

Even uninstalled zoom, the microphone in device manager, checked for updates, driver updates, and everything is current...

I have managed to fix it, despite any failed efforts from zoom support.

Got a hold of an old installer for version 5.11.3 (7123) and magically, both microphone and webcam work flawlessly now, even beta versions of Win11...

So, please take a look at whatever changes you made from that version to the current one (besides the Icon) and fix it please