cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low system resources error

BMAVillage
Listener

A few weeks ago I started getting "low system resources" error messages from Zoom every time I log into a meeting.  I am using the same 2020 laptop as I have been for two years.  I never got these messages before, and now even when I close all other applications, I get stuttering and freezing.  Can you tell me what steps to go through to try and fix this? I see many of the same question posted, but no answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

J-Zoom-ATL
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@BMAVillage The "Low System resources" message is going to be tied to what Zoom would see as a system busy. 

These benchmarks are going to be as below:
The client isn't sending audio/video info every 10ms.

If the client isn't seeing audio/video sent for over 50ms several times.
We also consider CPU usage as a supplementary factor. Higher CPU usage can get a higher chance of system busy, but high CPU usage is not a necessary condition.

In my experience what most often can cause this would be too many programs open taking up valuable CPU and RAM usage, too many background processes running, driver issues, or even faulty/failing hardware. 

I would start by restarting the computer and making sure you don't have any other programs open and as few background processes running (think Video Game launchers, Email services, etc. ) to see if the issue persists. 
Zoom primarily should be using between 5% to 15%  CPU (possibly up to 25% depending on the specs) on a well suited machine. 

Then I would check and reinstall Video and Audio drivers if possible to make sure a driver update hasn't started causing issues. 

As last thing to check, you can also try uninstalling reinstalling the desktop client to make sure there isn't an issue with the installation. 
Uninstall: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362983-How-to-uninstall-Zoom

Reinstall: Zoom.us/download 

It may even be worth having the device serviced to ensure there isn't any faulty hardware. I've seen issues with faulty RAM causing this issue (as well as a host of other problems). 

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the "Accept as Solution" button below.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

J-Zoom-ATL

@BMAVillage The "Low System resources" message is going to be tied to what Zoom would see as a system busy. 

These benchmarks are going to be as below:
The client isn't sending audio/video info every 10ms.

If the client isn't seeing audio/video sent for over 50ms several times.
We also consider CPU usage as a supplementary factor. Higher CPU usage can get a higher chance of system busy, but high CPU usage is not a necessary condition.

In my experience what most often can cause this would be too many programs open taking up valuable CPU and RAM usage, too many background processes running, driver issues, or even faulty/failing hardware. 

I would start by restarting the computer and making sure you don't have any other programs open and as few background processes running (think Video Game launchers, Email services, etc. ) to see if the issue persists. 
Zoom primarily should be using between 5% to 15%  CPU (possibly up to 25% depending on the specs) on a well suited machine. 

Then I would check and reinstall Video and Audio drivers if possible to make sure a driver update hasn't started causing issues. 

As last thing to check, you can also try uninstalling reinstalling the desktop client to make sure there isn't an issue with the installation. 
Uninstall: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362983-How-to-uninstall-Zoom

Reinstall: Zoom.us/download 

It may even be worth having the device serviced to ensure there isn't any faulty hardware. I've seen issues with faulty RAM causing this issue (as well as a host of other problems). 

If this answer helped solve your question/issue, please hit the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Nope.  None of these things.  My computer is the same computer with the same programs that worked perfectly on zoom every day until one day it stopped. Then every time, no matter if I had ZERO other applications running, I would get this error message.  So I uninstalled Zoom and reinstalled it, and boom, fixed.   Same computer, no other changes made.

Agree with that. After a full year of trying absolutely every suggestion (high-end new machine, W11, 32G RAM), I found that the one way to get smooth audio and video is to use a VPN.

BTW: I do not have any of these problems with an older W10 machine with only 8GB of RAM

I wish what you were saying was true, unfortunately it is not true at all. I have tried all of the suggested methods mentioned here and non work! I used to run an old Windows 7-executive using firefox and never had any problems other than it being a bit slow. I upgraded to a windows-10 with SSD 8gig hard drive and now all I get is continuous "LOW RESOURCES MESSAGE AND BAD SOUND QUALITY".  i TOOK IT TO MY IT GUY AND HE SAID HE SEES 8-10 PER WEEK SAME COMPLAINT....ZOOM IS A HUGE RESOURCE HOG and it never was. I just purchased this computer and now I have to get more RAM just to feed zoom so I can continue teaching....zoom used to be QUALITY....it no longer is! It has gone the way of all companies as they grow!

I'm having the same issue with a new laptop I bought just for zoom meetings. I uninstalled Zoom and installed the latest version and did everything on the list above but I'm still getting the error.  I get this error with my wife's laptop as well. 

I have an ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401Q Gaming & Entertainment Laptop

(AMD Ryzen 7 5800HS 8-Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GeForce RTX 3060, 14.0" 144Hz Full HD (1920x1080), Fingerprint, Win 11 Home) with Hub. 

My processor never goes over 15% when in meetings and my ram usage never goes over 8GB. I've made sure to close all apps except for the citrix receiver that is required for me to access my work e-mails and Zoom.  I need your help to fix this issue ASAP, this is my work PC and this issue is happening more often. 

I have a similar issue. I get the "Low System Resources" message in the middle or end of a zoom call and then my microphone stops working. I already took my laptop in to have it serviced by IT professionals. They did not find anything wrong with my laptop and tested the audio.  I'm not sure that reinstalling zoom or audio drivers would work. I tried to reinstall zoom already and that did not work. Do you have any other suggestions?  Maybe it is time for me to buy a new laptop because its not running the software correctly? My laptop is about 2 years old. 

Thanks,

Danielle 

I was contemplating buying a new one too.  But, I am holding off...  as ...  I doubt this will fix this issue, as people with the latest processors and 32 GB ram plus fancy graphics cards still report this issue (with system and other resources still being under 25%).  Zoom tech need to wake up and sort this issue as it is now widespread for reasons only known to them. 

I am puzzled by a low resources message, accompanied by complaints of lag when sharing presentations or evn just static screens, video freezing and jaggy sound. (When using Around, I have none of these issues)

I have a gigabit ethernet connection and am using a high end late model i7 laptop with 32Gb RAM, a top spec graphics processor. Even doing my best, CPU doesn't run above 15% nor memory above 30%.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Zoom. Still experiencing the same problems.

Appreciating anyone's further suggestions

Nothing of the above works... And I have a solid system - i7 11 gen - 16 GB ram and Iris graphics card... I reinstalled and getting I dont use gaming programs or anything of the sorts

Same problem with our Office-Laptops. Everything worked fine for 4 years, now 50% of user get this error message. Nothing was changend on the machines, everything else works flawlessly (and fast) only Zoom produces these errors: "low system resources" and then sound-cutoffs...

JDenton
Listener

Interesting..I just got off of a company meeting and we had the same message on our screens. That has never happened before. 

All the Solutions presented by Zoom Employees here are pointless... I have not renewed my subscription - this creates a lot of chaos especially when you are live streaming - I have Nvidia 8GB graphics card along with 16GB ram and i7 11 gen... 

Teams is much better option - even Google Meets is workable - though personally I love whiteboard feature of Zoom but the issue of low resources creates a lot of issues

J-Zoom-ATL

@JDenton This message is going to be local to the machine, so in this case it would have only been a coincidence that the low system resources were seen by multiple people in the meeting. 
What I shared above would apply for anyone receiving that message. 

The only alternative would be if someone was screen sharing their desktop and received the message, then this would show in the screen share. 

Can you please look in to the "your internet connection is unstable" thread, as these problems seem to be related. Many thanks

Kickyn
Listener

Finally I can fix it in my laptop after uninstall Zoom then reboot my laptop. And reinstall zoom again. A week already and have no more low resources error.

whourie
Listener

Same issue here "Low System resources" , I use Acer Aspire A514-54G (2022 Laptop) 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz & 16.00 GB RAM + Window 11 Home. 
This problem happens so often, only when I use Zoom, and especially when I share my screen, despite more than 70% of CPU/RAM is empty. 

When It happens, it's very embarassing situation for me, as people think I don't have a good internet and occurred so many times with same people, I try to kill all background processes, and all windows. But no success, the problem persists only until I restarted my laptop. 

Come on guys, please fix this bug. 

You mention "good Internet". When you run a "Speed Test" (www.SpeedTest.net) what speeds does it report for "download" and for "upload" ? 

Are you using an Ethernet cable to connect your computer to the cable-modem (or telephone company's adapter), or are you using WiFi between your computer and the cable-modem?  If using WiFi, is your WiFi using "Wireless N" or the much-faster "Wireless AC" communication protocol (assuming that the cable-modem supports "AC") ?

Hi there
Typical speeds over a wired connection are 500mbps up and down
Speeds over 5GhZ wireless are similar, perhaps 10% slower
Wifi protocol is Mixed, so a/n/ac

Hope that helps,
Miiko