cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Recording (how much space)

AlexP
Listener

Hi, 
I got the message that I didn't have enough space on the disk to convert the recording. I've been deleting stuff and wondering where do I find out how much space is needed? I have clicked on "double_click_to_convert_01.zoom" and "double_click_to_convert_02.zoom" and nothing happened so I'm assuming there's isn't enough yet.

Is there a time limit or they are saved somewhere.  

And can I copy these to another computer and convert it there?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jaredallen
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @AlexP, welcome to the Zoom Community

The size of the converted recording can vary depending on a number of factors. Some examples include:

• Duration of the recording
  • Length of time spent screen sharing (for example, when screen sharing the thumbnail is a much smaller video)
  • Content being shared (slides vs video, etc)
  • Duration of time that video was enabled

After the conversion the video is transcoded to .mp4 format, so the file size should be significantly reduced. As a rule of thumb, make sure you have at least the same amount of free space as the original "double_click_to_convert_01.zoom" file size.

The location of your local recordings can be configured via the settings in your Zoom client.

"Settings --> Recording --> Store my recording at". 

The default storage location is:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Zoom - MacOS

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Zoom - Microsoft Windows

I can also confirm it is possible to copy the "double_click_to_convert_01.zoom" and "double_click_to_convert_02.zoom" files to another computer with the Zoom client installed to convert them. However, you will receive the following warning when double-clicking the files. 

Files from unknown sources.png

Have I answered your questions? If so, please can you mark the reply as an accepted solution!

Hello. I had the same issue and, unfortunately, clicked convert anyway. It was able to convert the first the ...01.zoom but I can no longer find the 02.zoom. Is there a way to recover it?

jaredallen

Hi @AlexP,

Did you manage to resolve your issue? Let me know if I can be of any further assistance?