cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning of iPad needing software update?

neve
Participant

Is there any way of getting a warning that an unmanaged iPad needs a software update before it fails in a meeting because it's too far behind? 
Is there any way for an unmanaged iPad to update the Zoom Room app automatically? I've got "Automatically install app updates" checked in settings, but they never do.

5 REPLIES 5

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

This is a prime use-case for using ZDM, rather than keeping your device unmanaged.
As you suggested, the best approach is to get the OS to regularly update Zoom Rooms - this is by definition a management function and not something the Zoom Rooms app supports when your iPad is unmanaged.

Also, there's no guarantee that your iPad is failing in meetings due to the version of Zoom Rooms it's running.

neve
Participant

So, when I get an "Some of your Zoom Rooms devices need to be upgraded to join this meeting" error, is there any way it could be more specific? The most recent time it happened, the meeting was between two Zoom rooms. I assume that the four variables are the two controllers' software versions, and the two PCs running Zoom Room software. Is there something else that can cause this error?

With regards to ZDM, it works great on my Windows PCs, but for iPads, I can't enroll my department's iPads until my university sets up the certificate. At least with android based devices I can update them remotely.
I am a bit confused that despite there being an option on the iPad to automatically update apps, the Zoom Room app never does.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @neve this may help you further understand what maybe the issue here. If you're using ZDM and attempting to update the OS/Firmware, are you using the Zoom Web Portal to push those updates? 

This issue normally pertains to Zoom Room appliances but If this is being thrown from a Windows or Mac Zoom Room with Ipad or standard Android Tablet (non manufacturer specific), please check the OS version and verify when it was released, then report back. Generally, we would like see the Windows version no older than 1 to 2 years old.

You mentioned having unmanaged iPad controllers, which this maybe the cause from an Invalid Device Certificate. This will cause the device to show as disconnected from ZDM. OR, some older versions of the Firmware may have a bug that interferes with the devices ability to communicate to the ZDM servers. The best way around these issues is to push the updates from the device’s Web Interface directly.

If you have a large number of room systems with Firmware that is out of date, however, in your case it seems to be only a couple of controllers; recommend reaching out to the devices Manufacturers support (Poly/HP, Crestron, Neat, DTEN, Yealink, Logitech, etc.) to request an option to mass deploy or push firmware updates directly from the Manufactuer's servers to the devices.

Hope this info helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

SeanEllis
Listener

Hey Neve,

I am experiencing this issue as well.

I discovered that some of my Windows Machines unenrolled ZDM (for whatever reason). Those machines had the 5.13.x Version, and displayed the "..devices need to be upgraded to join this meeting..". What is frustrating is that I never received ANY alert that this is the case. Why is there no Alert for this?