cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Phone on mobile device - wifi

joebrug
Listener

We've been using Zoom Phone for a couple of years now. I've always noticed that tak,ing calls via the Zoom app on my cell phone over wifi or cell network is pretty "laggy".. a normal mobile call is MUCH better. Is there any reason for this? more importantly... any fix for it? I've had other users recently tell me the same thing, so hopefully there's something that can be done. 

2 REPLIES 2

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi joebrug,

could be an issue with your wifi and or internet connection.  generally, speeds drop off quickly as you move farther away from the wifi router or access point.  to test, try making a call close to the wifi router or access point.  sometimes the cable modem and wifi router are contained in one device commonly called a gateway.

if the cell phone is not getting a good wifi signal, it usually automatically switches to cell network.  generally, cell phone voice is given priority over cell data. 

please see zoom wifi article.  if you are using a cable modem, make sure that it is docsis 3.1 which is the current version.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061805

you can test turning off wifi on the cell phone to force the use of cellular data.  then use the cell phone to make a zoom phone call and see how it works.

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,

eliot

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

It could be Interference from other Wi-Fi access points  (including your neighbors).  Best performance is always using a wired connection. 

Regards