cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yearlink T43U warning message false positive

drc-ict
Listener

All our Yearlink T43U phones have today just suddenly started displaying a warning message, indicating that the "User default pwd is in use".

All these phones were provisioned 3 months with a non-default password.

I've tested the default admin password on these phones and it doesn't work, as it should.

Tested the non-default admin password, and that works.

Not sure what set these warning messages off.

They all have the latest firmware version: 108.86.3.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Elyjah
Listener

This seems to have to do with a firmware update that just came out as I never saw this issue before this morning, and your post is exactly from today! I went through the same steps that you have as well. I caught a phone rebooting when I came in this morning and it must have been due to an update.

For the time being however I added the following to our provision template on our T46U phones. According to Yealink documentation, this will not work on T48G, T46G, T42G. T41P, and T29G phones.

# Determines whether the phone will display warnings. These include default password, account
# regisistration failed, provisioning credentials wrong, network unavailable, and line on redundancy
# registration. Default setting is 1, but this is set to 0 to prevent a false positive warning of
# default password being in use.
phone_setting.warnings_display.mode = 0

The source of where I found that setting is the admin guide on the Yealink phones found here. I would've attached it but the file size is too large! The comment block is what I typed up for future reference.

To add a provisioning template you have to go in to Phone System Management -> Company Info -> Account Settings -> Provisioning Template in the Desk Phone section. Once you create a provisioning template, you have to go to your company's phone device listing and actually apply the provisioning template by checking the boxes of all the phones you want to apply it to and selecting Bind

Elyjah_0-1687185070927.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Elyjah
Listener

This seems to have to do with a firmware update that just came out as I never saw this issue before this morning, and your post is exactly from today! I went through the same steps that you have as well. I caught a phone rebooting when I came in this morning and it must have been due to an update.

For the time being however I added the following to our provision template on our T46U phones. According to Yealink documentation, this will not work on T48G, T46G, T42G. T41P, and T29G phones.

# Determines whether the phone will display warnings. These include default password, account
# regisistration failed, provisioning credentials wrong, network unavailable, and line on redundancy
# registration. Default setting is 1, but this is set to 0 to prevent a false positive warning of
# default password being in use.
phone_setting.warnings_display.mode = 0

The source of where I found that setting is the admin guide on the Yealink phones found here. I would've attached it but the file size is too large! The comment block is what I typed up for future reference.

To add a provisioning template you have to go in to Phone System Management -> Company Info -> Account Settings -> Provisioning Template in the Desk Phone section. Once you create a provisioning template, you have to go to your company's phone device listing and actually apply the provisioning template by checking the boxes of all the phones you want to apply it to and selecting Bind

Elyjah_0-1687185070927.png

I can also confirm that the firmware on the Yealink site is 108.86.0.70 updated on 2022-08-30 which seems out of date now. I'm not sure what our actual phones were prior to today however.

Yealink T57W are doing the same for us. The new firmware created a user named "user" and it is using a default password. We have logged into phones and set that "user" password. It removes the warning message.

Does anyone know of a way to set the password on 200+ phones globally? 

Hi Greg!

Can you confirm on your end where you see the user named 'user' that is appearing on the phones? I haven't seen that *yet* but I would bet my wallet that it's something that I missed. I want to see if the same happened on my T46U phones.

Under Status I looked at Accounts and only see Elyjah, and when I try to get in to the advanced settings I am only prompted for the admin specifically. I have not looked at the Yealink web portal however to see if several accounts appear there.

Yes, I can confirm.  Web browse into any phone using user and user.  That is the reason Zoom is sending up the warning.  I'm still looking for an easy way to set all our phones without logging into each individually and resetting the user default password.

Adding this below, just hides the fact of having a user with password user on every phone. 

( phone_setting.warnings_display.mode = 0 )

GregL_0-1691427216710.png

This shows both Admin and User.

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi drc-ict,

according to zoom phone certified hardware, the zoom supported firmware version is

T43U IP Phone

AES-256

(3/20/2023)

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360001299063-Zoom-Phone-Certified-Hardware

please try 108.85.3.21 firmware.

thanks,  eliot

GregL
Listener

Yealink T57W are doing the same for us.  The new firmware created a user named "user" and it is using a default password.  We have logged into phones and set that "user" password.  It removes the warning message.  

Does anyone know of a way to set the password on 200+ phones globally?   Zoom?

Rickh925
Listener

Wow, this is terrible. Any update on why a new user was created with a "default" password? I can't go through all of the phones and update this user one at a time...

Rickh925
Listener

Still nothing? We have about 100 phones and the ! seems to really trigger some of the staff. Applying a provisioning template to turn off warnings is not a solution. Our mix of Yealink T53W and T54W phones are all on the latest firmware. I know this happened with 96.86.3.10 because I saw a phone that was powered off boot up with no warnings. Then after a few minutes, it rebooted and said something about applying update, and when it came up, the warning was there.

We have a security audit coming up at one of my clients tied to their corporate cyber security insurance policy. If the phones show a warning about a default password in use, at the very least, it is going to make the audit team look harder. At the worst, it will end up changing our rating leading to higher premiums.

"the ! seems to really trigger some of the staff."  Same for us.  I did use the template to hide the warning, but would like any help finding a long term fix.  Zoom support pointed me to Yealink.  Yealink added the feature to allow a user, limited access to change backgrounds, button assignments etc. without having admin rights....We'll just change the pw manually.