cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom doesn't terminate when I close it

paulbg
Listener

The most recent versions of Zoom (I have 5.12.9 (10650))seem to think they're TSRs -- when I terminate them they stay resident in memory, keep me signed in, and only appear in the Windows Task Manager's process tab. How do I get Zoom to behave like a normal program and terminate completely when I shut it down?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @paulbg,

Yes, Zoom is a TSR app.  Many of us rely on it.

If you want to terminate the app, click the round Zoom icon in the task bar and click Exit:

Ray_Harwood_1-1670721261481.png

I don't see a setting to change the default behavior.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Nope, doesn't make any difference. Whether I try to close the app that way when signed in or signed out, or with or without closing it using the Windows [X] button at top right, Zoom remains resident in Windows Task Manager (Process tab) until and unless I force close it through WTM by telling it to "End Process."

This is dumb.  The default behavior should be the same as default behavior for every other application on my computer.  If someone wants something else, they can change it in settings.

Except you can't change it in settings.  This is dumb also.  This is how you know that technologists are running the company instead of UI or UX people. 

Technologists make up 1% of the population, but they force the other 99% of the population to deal with their choices.  This is extremely self-centered and selfish.  And dumb.

Jameswalter
Participant

To minimize the Zoom desktop client window so that it continues to run in the background, right-click the Zoom icon in the task bar, then click Close window. To exit the Zoom desktop client, right-click the Zoom icon in the system tray (bottom-right corner), then click Exit

This may help,
James

Please refer to my previous reply. You recommend "right-click the Zoom icon in the system tray (bottom-right corner), then click Exit," but I already know about that option and have already said that it doesn't work. "Exit" closes the desktop window and the tray icon, just as the Windows [X] button does, but both options leave the process Zoom.exe *32 running in Task Manager.