cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom client crashes on starting or joining a meeting

mbailey
Listener

The Zoom client has been working perfectly on my desktop for months, including and up to yesterday.  Today when I try to start or join a meeting, it crashes.  The meeting window pops up briefly and then closes.  It seems like Zoom tries again 2-3 times and then gives up. 

• Have tried with camera on and off (same result)
  • Have tried with multiple Zoom accounts
  • Have tried uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, restarting—all to no avail
  • Other video apps on my computer work: OBS, MS Teams meetings, etc.
  • The client on my work laptop works with the same account (no crashes)
  • Have cleared Windows temp files
  • Have cleared Chrome cache

No idea what else to try!  It seems that Zoom is interacting with something else on my desktop but I can't figure out what it might be.  Nothing has changed since yesterday.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @mbailey 

Check to see if you have any pending Windows Updates. 

If you are on a 64-bit computer, I'd also suggest making sure you are using the 64-bit version of Zoom.

Although you have reinstalled Zoom, I'd also suggest you check you are on the latest version -  5.7.8

Hope this helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

On the Zoom site, when you reach the downloads page, the default link is for the 32 bit version.  Underneath you should see the link for the 64 bit version.  I just ran into this with one f our Windows users too.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

StefanScherbik
Participant

Have you tried updating BIOS, video drivers, and audio drivers on your computer?

Video and audio drivers are fully updated.  Not sure how to update BIOS.

Interestingly, I tried to start a meeting with one of my accounts and it told me I had another meeting open.  As long as I didn't do anything with that dialog box, the meeting window stayed open, with camera working.  Left it like that for several minutes.  As soon as I tell it to close the previously open meeting, it crashes again.

Note that with this same account, I can open and close meetings from that same account freely.  It's almost like there's something on this computer that's telling Zoom a meeting is still open.  Not sure if that even makes sense. 

Updating BIOS is different depending on the laptop.  For instance, at my company we have Dell laptops, so I can google "Dell Latitude 5410 Drivers" to get to the drivers page, and then search for BIOS, which gives me an .exe download for the BIOS driver for that model of laptop.  Then I run it, and it updates BIOS.  Might be a similar workflow if you google "BIOS" for your make/model of laptop.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the "other meeting open" popup and the fact that it crashes once you close it.  Hopefully the 32 bit version people mentioned will help.

Rupert

Hi @mbailey 

Check to see if you have any pending Windows Updates. 

If you are on a 64-bit computer, I'd also suggest making sure you are using the 64-bit version of Zoom.

Although you have reinstalled Zoom, I'd also suggest you check you are on the latest version -  5.7.8

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Thanks for your reply!  How can I tell if I have the 32- or 64-bit version?

Installed Windows updates to no avail.  Checked Zoom version, which fully updated. 

On the Zoom site, when you reach the downloads page, the default link is for the 32 bit version.  Underneath you should see the link for the 64 bit version.  I just ran into this with one f our Windows users too.

mbailey
Listener

Thanks @yoshioka and @Rupert — reinstalling with the 64 bit client worked.  It seems there are a few different places where you can download the client, and not all of them give you the 64-bit option.

I'm still perplexed as to what changed between yesterday (when it worked) and today (when it didn't).  However, after a day of fighting with it, I was able to find the 64-bit client to download and install, and all appears to be working normally now!