cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I turn on my mic and camera on Mac? Zoom does have permissions.

joshuafox
Listener

If I click the unmute button or the video-enablement button, nothing happens; the buttons do not respond.

Mac (Sonoma) System Settings do allow Zoom for camera and mic.  I even tried disabling, and re-enabling; shutting Zoom off and on.

Note: In Zoom (v. 5.17.1) video settings and Zoom audio settings, we do see the   live camera view and see the the mic is picked up.

Zoom has worked will on this computer until recently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ha! What has happened is the programmer has mislabeled a pop up window I think!  When I join a meeting with a host having  recording in progress, the gal saiz “recording in progress” as usual. They have moved the boxey white window to click to confirm to the upper right of the window, except it saiz “leave meeting” with OK button in blue. I click that button and all works well :). !not the red leave button in lower right!  It’s a blue banner in UPPER right.  

let me know.?  I haven’t tried that because I didn’t want to leave. 

also if the host pulled my name up and requested me to unmute/start video I could.

let me hear how your ticket is answered?

”technology is our friend “

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Jmfarley
Listener
  • Same problem , in a recorded meeting. Did not get banner to acknowledge recording in progress. Working in non recording meetings 

joshuafox
Listener

Also:

1. I suspected that the host somehow blocked my mic and video. However, when I used my smartphone or the browser for Zoom, with the same account, the mic and video could be enabled, no problem.

2. I created a new Zoom meeting from another account and invited myself (i.e., with the problematic computer)). In this case, the mic and videocould be enabled, no problem. 

Jmfarley
Listener

I sent an invite from another account /machine. Started recording . Joined the meeting and could not turn video on or unmute until the host requested I unmute and start video. Than it worked as normal. My iPhone works as it should also.

I’m using MacBook Pro with both zoom and OS updated to latest.

both host machines have worked seamlessly with this client in past. 

Happy New Year!

Only happens when host is recording when I join. Haven’t tested host start recording after joining or stop recording . But when recording not on everything functional 

Linda186
Listener

This same issue just happened to our conference tonight and the host was unable to start audio or video exactly as you describe.   She just upgraded to 5.17.1 and is running Ventura 13.6.1.  We uninstalled, reinstalled but still couldn't get it to work.  Then unexpectedly she received a prompt to "turn on her audio" and then both audio and video started working.  Unfortunately once we left the meeting and restarted, it wouldn't work again.  We opened a ticket tonight with Zoom.  I would appreciate any updates and progress you make on addressing this issue.  

Ha! What has happened is the programmer has mislabeled a pop up window I think!  When I join a meeting with a host having  recording in progress, the gal saiz “recording in progress” as usual. They have moved the boxey white window to click to confirm to the upper right of the window, except it saiz “leave meeting” with OK button in blue. I click that button and all works well :). !not the red leave button in lower right!  It’s a blue banner in UPPER right.  

let me know.?  I haven’t tried that because I didn’t want to leave. 

also if the host pulled my name up and requested me to unmute/start video I could.

let me hear how your ticket is answered?

”technology is our friend “

Brilliant!  Thank you so much!  I was able to duplicate this on my Mac (I was on a Windows machine previously) and see exactly what is happening.  I'll submit screenshots with my zoom ticket so the bug can be fixed.  

DalongChen
Listener

It's a bug and we will fix it in future release, thanks.

DalongChen
Listener

The root cause is that you have to respond to the recording disclaimer first which is now moved to the top of the meeting window since 5.17.1. Otherwise, your attempts to turn on video/audio will be ignored. We will fix it soon, thanks.

Someone should at least make sure the Zoom Support team is aware of this.  We spent over an hour on a support call trying to figure out why our host was unable to unmute or speak in Zoom.  I was also asked post support call to produce screen shots and gather logs.  We rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled.  You think the suggestion would have been made at some point to make sure to "click OK to acknowledge the recording" since that appears vastly different from the old version where the white box used to pop up in the center of the screen.  But I'm thankful I at least know what is going on thanks to JMFARLEY's post.  

actually my new banner reads “leave meeting” with a button “OK”. Not “ click OK to continue “ And you’re correct Linda186, , vastly different from previous acknowledgement in form, position,and color. I saw no mention of the banner change in the update notes before updating either. I for one truly appreciate the use of the zoom program and have no clue of the complexity of its programming , but there is something to be said for beta testing before rolling out “upgrades” to weed out mistakes.
I appreciate this community platform to troubleshoot “bugs” !!

you guys have a Happy New Year! 

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

It is noted in the release notes;

December 27*, 2023 version 5.17.1 (27701)

*Note: This release was originally scheduled for release on December 25, but was delayed two days.

New and enhanced features

Meeting/webinar features

• Simplified consent notifications
    Notifications for meeting recordings, live streams, saveable captions, and AI Companion features are simplified and condensed down into one smaller, less obtrusive notification displayed at the top of the meeting window. If there are multiple notices, they will be combined together. Participants can hover their cursor over or tap for more information about what data of theirs is being shared and with whom. Participants retain the ability to consent to remain in the meeting/webinar, or leave the meeting. If a custom notification has been created by the account admin, condensed banners will not be shown.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068891 

Regards

I apologize Frank_TB. My mistake.

Now I really feel inept, seeings how they show us the mistake!

joshuafox
Listener

Thank you @Jmfarley and all. This is the cause.  And @DalongChen, I see this was designed as a UI cleanup, but as is, the UI simply does not say that I need to click to approve recording or that I need to click to enable my mic and video.,

It says nothing but “leave meeting” / “OK” which I interpreted as a clumsily-worded leave-meeting option.

I agree JoshuaFox.  Who would ever click an OK button next to the words "Leave Meeting" at the start of the zoom call.  It's just not intuitive at all.  We had to cancel our international call last night because no one , including Zoom Support, could figure out why the host couldn't turn on their video and audio. 

I just tried it again and wow! The label saying "Recording" is on the far upper left. The button saying "Leave Meeting"/"OK", is on the far upper right. The buttons for video on mic or on the far lower left. The eye does not connect these three.

riverlight
Listener

I'm having the same issue on Mac Mini and a friend is with her MacBook. Audio is okay but it's the video that does not allow me to turn on or off. It's not always in a meeting being recorded. If I start a meeting myself, it works fine, but joining a meeting does not work. My MacBook Air M2 works okay. I'm looking for solutions.