cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing and remote control

LindsayP
Listener

I am a court reporter and attend a lot of Zoom depositions.  Usually the questioning attorney will share a document, and if the witness wants to read it, it saves so much time if he is given remote control over it so he can scroll up and down himself.   I've noticed though that usually if they try that the witness has a lot of trouble controlling it.  He'll complain that he's trying to scroll but it's not responding to his mouse, or only very sluggishly, and then he'll give up and waste a lot of time giving scrolling directions to the sharing attorney.  Are we missing a step?

2 REPLIES 2

Hime-Tama
Listener

Hi Lindsay, Hime-Tama here.

The questioning attorney, i.e. the one who is giving control over his screen, should not touch the mouse or any controls while the witness is scrolling. Preferably, the questioning attorney, who is sharing the document, should be connected to the internet via a LAN cable to reduce time lag, as that is more under your control. Asking the witness to connect to the internet via LAN cable would not be convenient or practical after all, despite that being the most optimal situation. The witness should also try their best to use the up and down arrows on their keyboard to control scrolling rather than the mouse, as Zoom seems to react rather sluggishly when it comes to mouse input. Also, Adobe has a very slow  mouse wheel scroll rate on some documents, so the Up and down arrow keys on the keyboard are always the best scrolling option. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you!  I'm going to share this with my fellow professionals and try it next time.