cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set a custom message when user tries to join a meeting before the meeting has started

mjsnorris
Listener

I have a weekly (recurring) Zoom meeting which is always at the same time, and usually has about 50 participants. This week, however, the Zoom meeting is an hour than usual, and I'm not sure that all participants have got the message (or will remember) that it's an hour later.

I'd like to create a custom message for those who join at the usual time to remind them about the time change. And I don't want to have to be present on the Zoom meeting either.

I tried making a custom waiting room message, but it seems that participants are not actually placed in the waiting room unless I have already started the meeting. If participants join early and I'm not on Zoom, then they only see the message 'Waiting for the host to start this meeting', with the Time field set to 'This is a recurring meeting'.

Any thoughts on how I might do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @no_ you're correct. As @Shaimaa stated, utilizing the calendar integration with Zoom will be your best bet as to scheduling, sending and updating meetings; therefore, your participants are aware of any invites they may've received or changes to the one occurence. 

Personally, I use Google Calendar; which when scheduling from google calendar - you have the option to send an email reminder for x minutes before the meeting. There is a discussion around this as well within the community at Email reminder where @IP-Man gave an example! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Shaimaa
Participant | Zoom Employee
Participant | Zoom Employee

Hi mjsonrris

As far as I understand you need to do change on specific (single meeting of your recurring meeting) this could be done in many ways.

You can integrate your calendar to the zoom meeting while if you update a meeting all your participants will get the update here these steps https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000488243-Setting-up-calendar-and-contacts-integration 

Another way to custom your waiting room as you made but make sure if the waiting room settings apply to this single occurring or not.

If you can test with your guest or another account also this will confirm your settings if it is correct.

Please like any post that helped you; please mark solutions so others can find them!

the suggested waiting room customization does not work to notify people who try to join prior to the meeting starting. 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @no_ you're correct. As @Shaimaa stated, utilizing the calendar integration with Zoom will be your best bet as to scheduling, sending and updating meetings; therefore, your participants are aware of any invites they may've received or changes to the one occurence. 

Personally, I use Google Calendar; which when scheduling from google calendar - you have the option to send an email reminder for x minutes before the meeting. There is a discussion around this as well within the community at Email reminder where @IP-Man gave an example! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

HAdams19
Listener

This is an amazing question, which I wish Zoom would address! I am a virtual teacher, and when we have snow day cancellations, I always have students who don’t check their notifications. It would be wonderful to leave a “class is canceled” instead of the usual “waiting on host to start meeting” message to my students who are logging in, that way it does not require me to log in. They don’t get any change of meeting notifications as I share the Zoom link outside of the Zoom platform, since not all of the students are enrolled with Zoom account on the first day.