cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined a weekly (Pro) meeting that didn't show a host

janesilva760
Listener

Hello!

I joined a weekly scheduled meeting (Pro level) that didn't show a host. When I contacted the admin to get a host id so I could claim host, she said it would cost more money.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Jane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @janesilva760.

Use of the Host Key doesn’t cost anything; it’s a part of every account.

Let me know how this works out for you!

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @janesilva760.

I’m guessing the person you asked didn’t really know the correct answer, or just wanted to give you something that “sounded good.”  Doesn’t sound like they were trying to scam you – but you never know. 

If the Meeting owner wants to give you a Host Key to host in their absence, that’s up to them to provide or not. There’s no requirement that a Host be present, and I add a Host wouldn’t provide someone with my Host Key unless I thought it was really necessary. 

Are you and the Meeting owner on the same organizational account?

Thanks, Ray!

Basically, I'm in a zoom group that has a weekly scheduled meeting. We have the Zoom version that costs money so we can have longer meetings.

It is scheduled without a host because sometimes the host/administrator is unable to attend.

When a participant was unable to mute themselves, I looked to see who was hosting, and there was no host. There was a Claim Host button on the bottom right of the participants window.

When I clicked on the button, it said for me to get the Host ID number.

When I emailed the administrator, she said it would cost more money for our group to have that feature.  We're a nonprofit small group and pay for our zoom account.

I just have the meeting ID and passcode to join every week.

Another member of the group agreed that it would cost more money, but I can't find anything on the zoom website about it.

Thanks for your help!

Ray_Harwood

Thanks for the additional info, @janesilva760.

I'll clarify a couple of things, and I think ultimately I can help you out.

First of all, it's not possible to schedule a meeting without a host.  The person who owns the meeting (usually the person that schedules the meeting) is the default host.

I'm assuming that your group isn't all within the same company, and that you each have Zoom accounts but not with the same organization (sharing a common account owner).  If you are all on the same organization's account and are all Licensed (paid) accounts, you can investigate the use of Scheduling Privilege or Alt Host designations.

So assuming you are not on the same organization and/or not paid accounts, your only option to "claim host" is the Host Key method.  Below is some information I've put together for all three approaches.  Please see the sections on Host Key which I think will be of the most help.  (Note that most of it is written from the Host/Owner's point of view.)

#  #  #

There are several scenarios for allowing someone else to host a meeting in your absence.

1. Scheduling Privilege is normally used when there's an assistant or a colleague who will need to substitute-host often
  2. If you just need a one-off substitute and the substitute is on the same corporate account as you, the Alt-Host option might be more suited (and less work initially).
  3. If one or the other is not true (not Licensed, or not on the same account), then your only option is the Host Key method.

Note that both Scheduling Privilege and Alt-Host methods require that both accounts be on the same account and both be Licensed (paid) accounts. Only Host key will work if either of those requirements are not met.

See these Zoom Support articles for more information:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362803-Using-scheduling-privilege

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/208220166-Designating-an-alternative-host

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key <--

Scheduling Privilege Additional Info:

Scheduling Privilege can be set up one-way or bidirectionally. Often an executive just needs an assistant to be able to schedule meetings and occasionally start them in the exec's absence, so the exec sets up Scheduling Privilege to allow the assistant to do so. If two colleagues (like teaching faculty) frequently stand in for one another, then both would assign Scheduling Privilege to the other. This can also work for more than two individuals.

Note that the person to whom Scheduling Privilege is assigned will have an additional drop-down to display either just their own meetings, just the other person's meeting, or all of them.

Alt-Host Additional Info:

The alternative host must start the meeting using the join link in an email sent to them by the host. The meeting will not display in the upcoming meetings list in the desktop client, mobile app, or web page for alternative hosts.

Host Key Additional Info:

Essentially, locate (and if desired, edit) your Host Key from your profile on the Zoom Web Portal. Set your meeting up with a Passcode, disabled Waiting Rooms, and enable Join Before Host (I recommend 15 minutes). Give your Host Key to your "substitute host", who will enter the room and use the Claim Host menu to become the host.

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help! From your generous and thoughtful information, it appears from our situation that the host key would be the option to use.

This is for when the regular host is unable to make the meeting (which occurs fairly frequently) and we need a host for helping participants mute/unmute themselves or for possible zoom bombers (is that the right word?).

The main last question is whether the zoom plan for that solution costs more money. We're on the least expensive plan that allows us to have longer meetings and to schedule weekly with participants able to join without a host.

Thanks again!

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @janesilva760.

Use of the Host Key doesn’t cost anything; it’s a part of every account.

Let me know how this works out for you!

Thanks, again, Ray! I will let you know how it goes!🙂