cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I un-clicked the passcode function for a big meeting and the link shortened

Janette1
Listener

I un-clicked the passcode function for a big meeting and the link shortened. I had already sent the invitation with the longer link to some of the guests. If I now send out the shortened link will those with the shorter link and those with the longer link (which I believe contained the passcode?) both work? Or do I need to resend the shorter link to the original group as well? I'm hoping they will both work, but I need to be certain! Please help!! Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ceezy
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Janette1 

The link is longer because it has the password embedded in it.  When you removed the password, it shorted the link because the embedded password had been removed.  I hope that helps to explain the change in length.

Both links will work.  You can test this by creating a test meeting, removing the password, and signing out of Zoom.  Try joining the meeting as a guest using the longer URL (with password).

I just tested it on my end, and it worked like a charm.  

Thank you! I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you need.

View solution in original post

Janette1
Listener

Thank you so much, Ceezy. If I understand correctly, I need to include the passcode with the longer link (which I failed to do) in order for participants to enter, yes?  So, I need to send them the new, shorter link since I no longer have the passcode. Argh. 

Ceezy

@Janette1 

If you do not have the passcode, both links will work for your meeting.  <-- I tested this and both links work.

If you do have the passcode, only the longer link will work.  People with the shorter link would need a password or the longer link.

I hope that helps to clear things up.

6 REPLIES 6

Ceezy

Hi @Janette1 

The link is longer because it has the password embedded in it.  When you removed the password, it shorted the link because the embedded password had been removed.  I hope that helps to explain the change in length.

Both links will work.  You can test this by creating a test meeting, removing the password, and signing out of Zoom.  Try joining the meeting as a guest using the longer URL (with password).

I just tested it on my end, and it worked like a charm.  

Thank you! I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you need.

Janette1
Listener

Thank you so much, Ceezy. If I understand correctly, I need to include the passcode with the longer link (which I failed to do) in order for participants to enter, yes?  So, I need to send them the new, shorter link since I no longer have the passcode. Argh. 

Ceezy

@Janette1 

If you do not have the passcode, both links will work for your meeting.  <-- I tested this and both links work.

If you do have the passcode, only the longer link will work.  People with the shorter link would need a password or the longer link.

I hope that helps to clear things up.

I LOVE this answer! It's exactly what I hoped for. Thank you so much, Ceezy!

Janette1
Listener

Oh Ceezy,

I'm so grateful.  Just to confirm (can you tell how paranoid I am that i will screw something up?!), I do not need to resend the shorter link to those who already receive the longer link since I removed the passcode. Yes?

That would be SO great!!!

Ceezy

@Janette1 
You do not need to resend the shorter link.  Both links will work. 
You can test it if it will make you feel better.  Starting your meeting will not hurt anything.  Good luck to you!