cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinar- need to spotlight 2 panelists and show a PowerPoint to attendees

Nikki
Listener

I am hosting a public meeting, using a webinar, that is providing Sign Language interpreters. There will be multiple panelists that want will keep their cameras on during the discussions. At different points there will be screen sharing. To make the speaker and interpreter big enough for Deaf attendees to see the interpreter and to highlight the different speakers, the speaker and the interpreter will be spotlighted.  When the screens share is started the speaker's video is still visible to the attendees but the interpreter is not seen. This means the Interpreter must be the only spotlight so it is accessible but  now the attendees can not see who is speaking.

How do I spotlight the speaker and the interpreter at the same time as screen sharing in a webinar? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nafi
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

Hi, 

Yes you can spotlight up to 9, here is for your reference : https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653

just make sure u choose correct attendees view :

• Attendee View: Set the video layout that the attendees see during the webinar. By default, they see the same view as the host (the host's default view is gallery view).
    • Follow Host's View: Participants will see the same view that the host is using, whether active speaker view or gallery view. If the host is sharing their screen, the attendees will have side by side mode with the host's share and the active speaker's video. The attendees can adjust the share and video size.
    • Speaker: Speaker view switches between the active speakers in the webinar, with other video panelists above the active speaker when not speaking. 
    • GalleryGallery view presents either 25 or 49 participants (if enabled in client Settings) on the screen in equal size. If there are more panelists than allowed to fit, multiple pages of gallery view will be created. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004834466-Managing-attendees-and-panelists-in-a-webinar... 

Hope it helps! please like and mark this as solution so whenever someone has the same question this content will help.

I am Zoom Enthusiast (Part of PT. Kayreach System, Indonesia Authorized Reseller, Certified Zoom Room, Zoom Phone, and Pro AV Integrator)

View solution in original post

Nikki,

Have you figured out how to accomplish what you have asked. I am hosting a meeting with 30 participants. I have a speaker and a sign language interpreter spotlighted. This works perfectly until I share a document on the screen. Then, the spotlighting does not function the same. I need both the speaker and the interpreter only with the shared document. And the main reason is so that the interpreter is large enough for the Deaf participants to see the interpreter. I understand your question. Have you figured out how to do this?

Thank you

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Nafi

Hi, 

Yes you can spotlight up to 9, here is for your reference : https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653

just make sure u choose correct attendees view :

• Attendee View: Set the video layout that the attendees see during the webinar. By default, they see the same view as the host (the host's default view is gallery view).
    • Follow Host's View: Participants will see the same view that the host is using, whether active speaker view or gallery view. If the host is sharing their screen, the attendees will have side by side mode with the host's share and the active speaker's video. The attendees can adjust the share and video size.
    • Speaker: Speaker view switches between the active speakers in the webinar, with other video panelists above the active speaker when not speaking. 
    • GalleryGallery view presents either 25 or 49 participants (if enabled in client Settings) on the screen in equal size. If there are more panelists than allowed to fit, multiple pages of gallery view will be created. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004834466-Managing-attendees-and-panelists-in-a-webinar... 

Hope it helps! please like and mark this as solution so whenever someone has the same question this content will help.

I am Zoom Enthusiast (Part of PT. Kayreach System, Indonesia Authorized Reseller, Certified Zoom Room, Zoom Phone, and Pro AV Integrator)

Thank you. I have believe I have tried to do what you are suggesting but it does not solve the issue. 

The participants do not have this issue, it is only the attendees to the webinar. To make the interpreter large enough for the attendees to see and for everyone to see who is speaking, the spotlighting feature is used. This works well when when a single speaker or multiple speakers. The issue is when there is a shared screen.  When there are multiple participants and most of them have their cameras on as this is a meeting not a presentation. The attendees will see either gallery view, and the interpreter is too small to be seen, or speaker view when the interpreter and the speaker are spotlighted. This works when there is no screen sharing.

The issue begins when a participant has something to share. The attendee goes from seeing all the people spotlighted to seeing only the speaker and the shared screen. If we change to them seeing gallery view then the videos are so small that the interpreter is inaccessible. It means that the interpreter has to be the only video spotlighted and attendees do not know and can not see the speakers. 

I also can not require all participants to turn their cameras off when not speaking.

Have I missed how to do this? Is there any way to show 2 spotlighted videos and a shared screen to attendees in this scenario? 

Nikki,

Have you figured out how to accomplish what you have asked. I am hosting a meeting with 30 participants. I have a speaker and a sign language interpreter spotlighted. This works perfectly until I share a document on the screen. Then, the spotlighting does not function the same. I need both the speaker and the interpreter only with the shared document. And the main reason is so that the interpreter is large enough for the Deaf participants to see the interpreter. I understand your question. Have you figured out how to do this?

Thank you

Does the viewer have to select side by side speaker view or can the host control this?

For a Webinar - The panelists can select which ever view they prefer.  For attendees, the host choses to show either side by side presenter view or side by side gallery view. 

For me to show a presenter and a sign language interpreter, the host chooses side by side presenter view and spotlights the speaker and the interpreter.

To comfortably see the interpreter there can be no more than 4 videos spotlighted in side by side speaker view or 4 videos on if you are in side by side gallery view.

Does this also work for an ordinary meeting rather than a webinar? We haven't got webinar function enabled... 

Do you need to spotlight presenters if the presenters are going to present one at a time and control their own cameras? 

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @lisakovacs.

I answered your similar question on another post, but thought if Clint on here as well. If you plan to not use Spotlighting by a Host as a means to control the attendee view, your presenters need to follow a strict process of only having cameras in when they are presenting. I still recommend that the Host set the Attendee View to Side-By-Side Speaker, though if you have multiple presenters during one presentation, using Side-By-Side Gallery would allow all camera-on presenters to be seen at once. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

ab10
Listener

I would like to see the ability to have the screen share and the presenter view as side by side with the host controlling not the viewers.  My understanding is the viewer has to choose side by side speaker view.  I would also like to be able to share more than one presenter on a screen share.  Does this exist.  For large meetings it is necessary.

For a Webinar -

The host chooses what the attendees see. There are 2 options when there is not a screen share. When you start to share there are 2 more options. The side by side presenter view will only show the attendees who is speaking beside the screen share. The side by side gallery will show all of the panelists who have there cameras on and the screens share. You can also choose the side by side presenter view and use the spotlight feature to spotlight multiple panelists at the same time and the attendees will then see the spotlighted people and the screen share.

The panelists (speakers) control their own view the same why people do in a regular zoom meeting.

In a Zoom meeting each person attending can select how they see the screen as to where the screen share shows and if they are in speaker or gallery.  When starting with a new group I often send prior to the meeting directions on how to best set up Zoom for the meeting or during the first few minutes I will show a slides with directions or pictures on how to change the settings.  Taking the time in the beginning of the meeting is my first choice becouse many people still do not know how to change the setting or where to find the different settings.

CG5978
Attendee

Please ask Zoom to enhance the product to include native Sign Language interpretation options... you can post your request here: Feedback - Zoom.
Sign Language interpretation should be on par with spoken language interpretation instead of relegated to workarounds like spotlighting that make it difficult to use and have limitations.

Zoom... Thank you for solving this sign language interpretation challenge as requested... you have greatly improved the user experience in this regard.

ab10
Listener

Good idea, however our participants are older and cannot figure this out. These are people over 70 years and up. They have come a long way but rely on us to do these things for them. So allowing a host feature for this would really help. 

Yes it would be beneficial to be able to set things up. I would suggest setting up small meetings and walking them through the set up with pictures and explanations. They setting will stay once they have been changed.  This is what I did with multiple groups in the beginning of the the pandemic and it has been helpful.