cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup for a conference using Zoom rooms

Luke_L
Listener

Hi! I'm in charge of organising a small hybrid conference. There are a few somewhat unique challanges, as well as mundane ones like a very low budget, and I would like to get some feedback on the feasibility of my plan... 

Initially I though of using a PC with OBS as a mixing station for two/three cameras and audio from the room's mixer. But latency is key in my case as there will be simultanuous interpretation and the interpreters will join online. It is not optimal, in fact far from it, but I simply have no other option. The in-room participants will be requested to connect to the session on their phones and listen to their language channel. I must find the best setup to minimize latency, and OBS would increase it compared to connecting a camera to Zoom directly, even if the encoding was done using fast hardware acceleration like the newest NVENC encoder. Or would that be negligible?

Since I cannot connect more than one camera to a meeting directly, I'm considering using Zoom rooms. If my understanding is correct, I should be able to connect two or more usb cameras (I was thinking of using Rockware RC20s) and the audio to a PC running the Zoom software, and then control the meeting, including the cameras, from a tablet running the controller app, plus moderating it from another device as a co-host account? A/V synchronization could be an issue using this setup, but I guess this could be solved by using virtual cables or something like that. 

So... should this work? It doesn't have to be perfect, just passable.

2 REPLIES 2

Luke_L
Listener

I would be most grateful for any advice! Thanks!

Luke_L
Listener

Sorry for bumping again... does anyone have any thoughts?