cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making calls from zoom desktop app via an outside phone

jroc27
Listener

Hi,

There are settings to receive calls on an outside number with the option to press 1 to accept the call. But how do I place a call with the zoom app using the same method of pressing 1 to connect the call.

This was possible with Mitel where you would essentially assign your extension to an outside number.

The goal being I don't actually make calls using my computer, but my cell phone. So I enable a setting to where I dial a number in the Zoom desktop app, a call is then placed to my mobile phone, I answer and press 1 to connect the call.

Is this possible with Zoom?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

hello @jroc27 

I also described the same behavior I thought:

So think of that in reverse where I dial a number in the zoom app on my desktop, a call is placed to my cell number, I press 1 and the call starts to ring the outbound number dialed in the app.

Thank you for explaining the challenges and I have shared the details with Product teams. You are also welcome to file a feature request via https://zoom.us/feed

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jroc27
Listener

Capture.PNG

Here is a visualization of what I'm asking for.Capture.PNG

sachinzoom

Hello @jroc27 

You are right. for outbound calls, This is possible using the call flip functionality. You can see the instructions here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360034613311-Using-call-flip

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

Hi, thanks for the reply. That's not exactly what I'm looking for. I want to initiate the call in the desktop app without completing the call, the zoom phone calls a number such as my mobile phone, I answer and hear the message to press 1 to connect the call, after pressing 1 the call is initiated and starts to ring the called party. I don't think this is possible today, but wanted to check.

sachinzoom

Just to understand, in the scenario you described,   Is the final called party your mobile number or some other 3rd number ? 

A 3rd party. Essentially anyone I'm placing an outbound call to. The objective being I use my cell phone without the zoom app to make outbound calls from my zoom phone number.

sachinzoom

Ok so when the zoom desktop app makes a call to the third party, there is a pop up on your mobile, where if you press 1, only then the call rings to the third party. Is my understanding correct ?

If yes, you are right Zoom phone does not have that feature.

However, you can use your zoom phone mobile client to make calls to the third party instead of the current experience you have. Do you see issues with that ?

Not exactly, see the screenshot in my second post. If you try that you will understand better what I'm referring to. That setting is where an inbound call is forwarded to an outside number.

So think of that in reverse where I dial a number in the zoom app on my desktop, a call is placed to my cell number, I press 1 and the call starts to ring the outbound number dialed in the app.

Yes, the goal is to not have the zoom app installed on my mobile phone. We have lots of remote workers who don't want to install zoom on their personal devices. They may not have a stable broadband connection to make calls using their computer and so they are just not using zoom at all, which is not ideal. They are just calling people using their personal number. Mitel had this feature I'm describing which solves this problem.

sachinzoom

hello @jroc27 

I also described the same behavior I thought:

Thank you for explaining the challenges and I have shared the details with Product teams. You are also welcome to file a feature request via https://zoom.us/feed

Hope that helps

You described it a bit differently, but very close.

"there is a pop up on your mobile, where if you press 1, only then the call rings to the third party. Is my understanding correct ?"

If by popup you mean an incoming phone call that you answer and then press one. Yes. But not a popup in the zoom app, because it's not installed on the mobile device in this scenario.

That's why I said not exactly 🙂

Thanks for the feedback link, I submitted this idea as well. Here's to hoping!

Do you know if there is a site to track user suggestions and vote on them, similar to how Microsoft has their user voice site?

sachinzoom

Hi @jroc27 

Sorry, no voting currently.

However, I found a very similar feature request already in progress ( although no commitments on date yet ).  That feature will allow you to initiate the call from your desktop client and continue the call on any other device. Do you want to share your company's name so I can add it to the feature request. Also, I will update you of any progress once I hear back

Sure, my company is Baldwin Risk Partners. Thanks for your help on this!

sachinzoom

Hi @jroc27 

Thank you and I have added your company as a customer desiring this feature and voted on it on your behalf :-). Have a good day

KyleSC
Listener

Has this been implemented? I want to do the same thing. Initiate the outbound call using the Zoom phone app, have it ring the party I am calling, then connect to my actual business phone - I hit 1 to connect the person I am calling and me using the business phone. I do not want to make calls on my cell or using my laptop.

pets
Listener

. Make sure to include the country code and area code if necessary. For international calls, you may need to add a "+" before the country code.

1. Start the Call: After entering the number, click the call (green phone icon) button to start the call. Your call will be placed using Zoom Phone, allowing you to talk to the person on the other end through your computer's microphone and speakers.

2. Manage the Call: During the call, you can use features like mute, hold, add call (for three-way calling), and more. These options are usually visible on your screen during the call.

3. End the Call: To finish your conversation, simply click the end call (red phone icon) button.

Ensure your Zoom account has Zoom Phone enabled to use these features. This service integrates traditional phone capabilities with Zoom's digital platform, offering a seamless way to make calls directly from the desktop app.
To Read More For tech Tips Click Here