cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

screen recording, no sound using apple's screenshot app

Scott1973
Listener

can I record sound using the screenshot app on a MacBook Pro?

3 REPLIES 3

newl
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello @Scott1973 ,

I have run into this issue with several users.

If you are recording using the Screenshots application (or by pressing Command-Shift-5), you need to click on Options and then choose your desired audio source

NOTE: All screen recordings on macOS record the external audio by default. This means your Mac doesn’t record any of the audio being played by the computer itself, but rather it records input from the external mic. This may be useful for voice-overs, but can be quite irritating if you’re trying to screen record a video or anything with built-in audio on your Mac.

If you are looking to record your computer audio, you will need to use a "virtual audio driver"; BlackHole is a freely available virtual audio driver. BlackHole creates a virtual link between your Mac's audio output into your Mac’s audio input, allowing you to route the audio from your Mac directly into the screen recording on your Mac.

Here is the BlackHole site:

https://existential.audio/blackhole/

You will need to register on the BlackHole website, which will provide an email with a download link. Download and install the two-channel option.

Restart your Mac.
Navigate to System Preferences > Sound on your Mac.
Click on the Output and select BlackHole from the list of audio outputs.
Now click Input and choose BlackHole.
Open the Screenshot app or Press Cmd + Shift + 5 to open the Screenshot Toolbar and select one of the screen recording options.

In Options, make sure BlackHole 2ch is selected under Microphone.

Press Record to start the recording.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I was having a hard time finding a solution after checking other forums. This worked!

Side note for others- you have to turn up the volume all the way up when you select Black Hole as the input & output, otherwise, the sound will be too low.

calvinho
Listener

Hi thanks for this recommendation. I was wondering how I can choose the options that you have, but be able to hear what I am recording? Basically after recording it works, but during actual recording I cant hear when something should be heard like a video or any sounds.