cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how i can mute/unmute during zoom meeting using my airpods pro controls?

akhammash
Listener

Hi, 

While in a zoom meeting on my macbook, when i try to mute/unmute myself using airpods call control (press once by default) it doesn't work and give me a message "Can't control mic with Airpod Pro" . Why is that? Is it a bug? 

The same functionality works when i join zoom from iPhone or iPad, so how we can make it work on macs also?

Please help this is really very useful for productivity when zoom window is buried somewhere (it could be in different desktop or under so many windows) and i need to unmute quickly 

Thanks

Aiman 

14 REPLIES 14

ExpertswhoJohn
Community Champion | Customer

Hello @akhammash ,

You can not mute your Zoom device with Airpods or USB-type devices with a mute3 button. Those mute functions will work within the device, not Zoom.

I believe it works on the iPhone and iPad because Apple made it that way.

The mute command within Zoom is separate and requires a separate command. People can mute Zoom 

using additional apps. You can also mute it by pressing the space bar. But to unmute, you would then need to hold down the space bar.

Hi John 

What do you mean by mute3 button? 

I'm able to mute/unmute using the mute button on my jabra headset connected to the same mac, so it's possible 

they should be same right ? 

Thanks

Aiman 

ExpertswhoJohn

Hi @akhammash 

Not always. I have used a number of USB devices, and some will make the zoom mute by muting the zoom mic icon. Others mute the audio within their own electronics and leave the Zoom microphone open.
Then last month I had a USB headset which stopped reacting to the physical mute switch.
I am more towards blaming a Windows update for this problem, which went away a month later.

The best advice is to check and validate each device yourself, as there is no easy way to contact the developers of the device, zoom and Windows and even if you could, they would blame each other for anything not working as expected.
all the best

John

Thanks John. the reason i'm posting here is that Zoom gave this message ""Can't control mic with Airpod Pro" when i tried to mute. So this tells me Zoom disabled this functionality and i was hoping to know why and help influence or find a way to enable it 

do you know how we can open a bug to zoom development ? 

Aiman

zoom clearly recognizes that I am pressing the mute button on my AirPods Max because the error message states that.  Why not simply toggle the mute function instead of raising the error.  This works with loads of other headsets like my Plantronics Savi 8220 but apple has done a great job of automatically switching mic and speaker when i put the headsets on but the savi has a physical mute that works.  

ulope
Listener

@ExpertswhoJohn  You don't know what you're talking about.
Apple added a feature to control mute/unmute directly from the AirPods. See this post in the apple knowledge base (search for "mute").

Also there's already a request to implement this in the zoom dev forum

ExpertswhoJohn

@ulope 
Apple may have added a feature but I still see people have problems with., even one person yesterday. I will watch Zoom updates to see any reference to this change.
And a feature request to Zoom does not give us a working solution today.

fudisoap
Listener

Well, it works in WebEx. So someone's cracked that nut. 

Microsoft teams did too, and I would expect Zoom to be way ahead of anything Microsoft builds on the conference meeting space.

One more email confirming 6.0.1 is the way out of the "can't [un]mute like you'd expect" issue. Thanks Zoom!

INV_JoshF
Listener

Does it work with the latest "Zoom Workplace" update? 

(This is now working for my AirpodsMax)

Release notes for macOS (zoom.com):

Support for USB headsets 
Supervisors and agents can use supported USB headsets to mute/unmute, accept/decline, or adjust the volume. This is only supported for voice engagements.

Indeed it works now . for the record , today i updated to Zoom workspace Version: 6.0.1 (33290) and it works 

this is great new and thank you INV_JoshF 

akhammash
Listener

to close the loop on this thread, after updating to Zoom workspace Version: 6.0.1 (33290) , this functionality works for my airpod pro . also INV_JoshF reported it works for AirpodMax headset. 

to who ever fixed it , thanks for listening 🐵