cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom was narrating everything

shrabonidey94
Listener

Hello All, I'm seeking support on Zoom technical issue which i faced yesterday during hosting a meeting where I was sharing my screen (sharing videos and audios), accepting participants from waiting room etc. The problem which I faced was that the zoom was narrating everything like when a person is joining the meeting or when person is leaving, when i was making someone co-host, or when I started sharing my screen. Please help me to figure it out because tomorrow again i have to do the same.

Also, let me know if it is a global issue from the main account or was a problem with my zoom account or system(mac).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

It sounds like you have the Zoom Screen reader turned on.

Screen reader alerts allow you to hear custom announcements using your screen reader whenever specific actions are performed in Zoom, such as when the host has muted audio, when closed captioning is available, or when you have received an IM chat message. You can manage which alerts you want the screen reader to announce.

How to enable or disable screen reader alerts

• Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
  • Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
    Click the Accessibility tab.
  • Select the check box next to each alert to enable or disable it.

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 8.19.02 AM.png

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360048870451-Using-screen-reader-alerts 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Frank_TB

Hello,

It sounds like you have the Zoom Screen reader turned on.

Screen reader alerts allow you to hear custom announcements using your screen reader whenever specific actions are performed in Zoom, such as when the host has muted audio, when closed captioning is available, or when you have received an IM chat message. You can manage which alerts you want the screen reader to announce.

How to enable or disable screen reader alerts

• Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
  • Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
    Click the Accessibility tab.
  • Select the check box next to each alert to enable or disable it.

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 8.19.02 AM.png

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360048870451-Using-screen-reader-alerts 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thank you so much for your help!

what is this

Hi Frank, I have ran into this same problem but these notifications are still playing out loud when all have been disabled. Do you know why this may be happening? Thanks!

Frank_TB

Hello,

Your computer operating system also has an accessibility feature  for screen reading that could be doing something very similar.  

I have disable screen reader alerts and I have checked my computer accessibility features. It is still announcing when I share my screen and copy something from the chat. 

Disabling all of the accessibility alerts on both Zoom and my computer worked for a while, until my last Zoom call, when I copied something from the chat and the voice came on again. It was a total disruption since I wasn't muted and  everyone said, "What was that?!!"  I hope they fix this bug asap!

I disabled all the screen reader alerts and it still announcing, I also disabled it in my computer accessibility settings, just like everyone else.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  Looks like there's a bug.  Maybe it's not updating our preferences on the backend when the request is made to your API.

Did anyone else figure this out?  All of my settings are turned off and it's still announcing some things.

I still have not.  Would love to find someone that has fixed the issue!

I did all of this and am still having narration. Makes it difficult to hear participants in the meeting when the narrations are louder than them.

Frank_TB

Happy to help.

Regards

pare
Listener

I'm having the same issue. everything is disabled and im still hearing it talk

Zivm
Listener

I disabled all the screen reader alerts and it still announcing, I also disabled it in my computer accessibility settings, what should I do? 

lbuchanan
Listener

I disabled all the screen reader alerts and it still announcing, I also disabled it in my computer accessibility settings, just like everyone else.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  Looks like there's a bug.  Maybe it's not updating our preferences on the backend when the request is made to your API. 

Did anyone else ever find a solution (other than the one that was accepted)?

Having same problem tonight as you did a few hours ago. Really hope this gets fixed. 

melanieannfigg
Listener

Nothing I do is fixing this. I want this guy to stop announcing everything and interrupting all the time!!! I hate this. If this is a bug, it needs to get fixed ASAP.

I have the same problem!!  Everything is disabled and it still does voiceover for everything in Zoom.  How do we make this stop?!?!