cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom version enforcement

mcmjeff
Listener

My organization is on various versions of Zoom that should all be in accordance with the minimum version requirements laid out in the quarterly schedule.

Today, 7/10/23, it appears the release of newest version 5.15.3 may have forced us to be on at least 5.15.2 (released 6/27/23) unintentionally. We had ~150 identified users today not on 5.15.2 or greater that were unable to use the application. We resolved this by pushing out 5.15.2 to the affected users, which appears to have resolved the issue.

However, we wanted to open a case to see why this might have happened.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep we saw that also, but I cannot find where Zoom states they will pull forward that enforcement
"Please note that while there will be a minimum Zoom client version required, we may require additional updates outside of this release window to address additional security or compliance features.
timeline."

If zoom does move forward the enforcement date due to a security bulletin I would think they would communicate that thru the bulletin itself at a minimum.
Frustrating.....
Thanks!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @mcmjeff

I know there were some issues as you've described.  It's unlikely you'll get any satisfactory answers from Zoom Support on "why it happened", but as a former developer myself, I'll just say "sometimes things happen, and sometimes we have to back track a little."

Note that if you want to create a ticket/case with Support, you should log into your account and enter your ticket request here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new 

You can get some general and sometimes very specific answers here on the Zoom Community, sometimes by Zoom staff or Zoom partners, but many of us are Zoom customers and just like helping people out.  Any official request for help needs to go through the Request process.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

deadpool
Listener

Our enterprise experienced the same exact issue yesterday on 7/10/2023

Any user that was running a version UNDER 5.15.1 could not use the application.

Only after we pushed 15.5.2 did clients begin working again

We opened a ticket and have gotten nothing tangible whatsoever. 
Only the following:
 "Upon checking, there has been a quarterly global version enforcement that enforce users to update to the latest version" 

However if you read all of the documentation it says the next enforcement is August 5th.

Ray_Harwood

Personally, I don't think this was a "version enforcement issue"... I think 5.15.0 was "broken" in some way.  My other machines still running 5.14 didn't have any problem... only the one that was upgraded to 5.15.0.

That's just my opinion, based on the behavior I've observed and the few reports I've read here on the Zoom Community.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

mcmjeff
Listener

I think we got it sorted. There was a security bulletin posted on 6/29 that 5.15.0 and 5.15.1 (sounds like other older versions as well) no longer working that we were not privy to. It feels like this effectively pulls forward the lifecycle enforcement timeline.

Yep we saw that also, but I cannot find where Zoom states they will pull forward that enforcement
"Please note that while there will be a minimum Zoom client version required, we may require additional updates outside of this release window to address additional security or compliance features.
timeline."

If zoom does move forward the enforcement date due to a security bulletin I would think they would communicate that thru the bulletin itself at a minimum.
Frustrating.....
Thanks!

Yeah I'm guessing it's just 2 heads bobbing forward without always being in sync. That's why I said it "effectively" moves any lifecycle enforcement forward haha!

KCardona
Listener

Hi guys we had the same issue on the 10th July, users with version 5.15.0 couldn't use the application.

Frank_TB

Hello,

As stated the was a security issue that required users to update on June 30.

Notice was sent to admins:

Dear Valued Customer,

We identified a vulnerability in Zoom Desktop Clients 5.15.0 (Windows/macOS), 5.15.1 (Windows), and certain other products (i.e., iOS, Android, Linux, Zoom Rooms, SDK) - primarily versions 5.15.0. Users on these versions will be prompted to update before they can join meetings and these versions will no longer be available for download. If users do not have the permission to update versions themselves you will need to deploy a supported version to them.

We have identified that your account has users on these versions, and you may view detailed information about those users in your Zoom Dashboard

The full list of affected products and versions can be found in our latest Zoom Security Bulletin.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are dedicated to providing you with a secure and reliable service, and safeguarding the security of your data is of utmost importance to us. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Team Zoom

Zoom Security bulletins 

https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fexplore.zoom.us%2Fen%2Ftrust%2Fsec... 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Please define "zoom admins", as none of my Zoom Administrators received any such email communication.  We have looked through our email history back thru June 1.

Do you have a specific date they sent the announcement?

Frank_TB

Hi,

I received the email June 30.

There is a subscribe option at the bottom of the page I shared.

Subscribe for updates

Please provide your individual email address to receive notification of future Zoom Security Bulletins

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

deadpool
Listener

Thanks for pointing that subscribe option out.  Im already subscribe to their Zoom Incident emails etc... I guess I wouldve thought an announcement like that would be all encompassing.  Hopefully ill get the next one!