cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom doesn't exit when you press the X icon

Moorith
Listener

This application DOES NOT close when pressing the X icon in the upper right. You can't exit from the taskbar using the right click menu to close window. Even alt-f4 can't close it. Instead this application is set to automatically disappear into the user's "notification area" so it LOOKS like it's closed, but it stays active in the background. 

The "notification area" is the hidden icon tray. Windows users can find this in the lower right hand side of their screen by clicking the ^ icon near the clock.

You have to either sign out from the user menu and then exit OR right click the icon in the "notification area" or hidden icon tray to exit. 

This program is predatory to people who don't know their program does not close when the X icon is pressed. It should NEVER automatically hide itself and still run in the background. The process to close the program is unintuitive, not user-friendly, and purposely obfuscates how to close the program. I had to google around to find out there is no solution.

You'll need to go to https://zoom.us/feed to submit feedback since this hasn't been addressed since 2022.

Your admin staff needs to make sure the links they provide users are correct. The feedback links on the original post from @RN are invalid.

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Many applications do this. Adobe, Steam, Discord, VoiceMeeter, OneDrive, DropBox, OBS. Zoom is a true client-server service app, and needs to maintain a presence on the device in order to alert the user for notifications from the server, for most users. It’s highly unlikely Zoom will “fix” this for you. Right-click the Zoom icon and select Exit – that’s your option. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

All of these applications can be set to exit in this manner in settings and will close with alt+F4 and the right click close window command. The persistence of the zoom program and always on top window is extremely frustrating and unwanted.

If this post shows one person how to find where this program was hidden and makes them aware that the program isn't closed when it should have been, it's doing it's job.

Users should know this application does not close except through this multi-step process and that their system resources are still being used.

I'm well aware zoom will likely never "fix" this issue for me. Your disregard and disrespect for users is frustrating on multiple levels.

Ray_Harwood

@Moorith, my purpose here in the Zoom Community as a volunteer customer is to inform people of facts and give them the benefit of my experience, similar to the intent of your post. I have no intent to disregard or disrespect anyone, as you might see by reading the other 3,300  helpful posts I’ve made in the Community in the past 3 years. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Maybe you should stop volunteering if you are going to be this passive aggressive to a valid complaint. Nothing about your response has been "helpful".

The OP is correct - this is extremely problematic behavior and the inability to turn it off is highly frustrating. Your snippy tone and defense of this is not helpful, and OP is right to be frustrated with both Zoom and your response.

PaulWC
Listener

I totally agree with you. Its extremely frustrating when a program hides itself in the notification area when you try to close it, and it's even more frustrating that zoom does not allow you to turn this behavior off.