cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing / Audio Troubles

Renay
Listener

I am doing a movie screening for 50 viewers.  When I share my screen the participants are able to see and hear the movie; however, I can barely hear the sound on my end. I checked my Ipad volume and it’s at the highest volume.   Also, is it possible to control their audio capabilities (mute everyone) before the start of the meeting?  And finally, is there a way to see only the movie I’m screen sharing?  In otherwords, can all of the participant boxes be hidden during the movie?   Thank you for your help.

Renay

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @Renay.

I’ve been playing each of six 30 minute documentary films once a month since January. This is  best done in a Webinar if the crowd is large or open to the public. You can do it in a Meeting with a small group of people you know, but other than that, I highly recommend a Webinar. 

In a Webinar, usually your panelists (if any) will be compliant with your request to mute and turn off their video. Then you as the Host set Attendee View to Standard, and the film will display full-screen for all attendees. Hosts, cohosts, and panelists will need to set their own displays to Standard. In a Meeting, you can set Focus Mode – I haven’t tried this for film play out, so try this to see how it works for you. 

The Zoom Video Player has a volume adjustment. I recommend logging in on a separate device and account as an attendee to verify volume level and appearance. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @Renay.

Don't worry, especially if this is to be an ongoing thing for you and your organization.  You'll have plenty of opportunities to "up your game" as time goes on.  I've been facilitating Zoom Meeting and Webinars for about 4 years now.

It seems like you might be working with attendees who are known to you and/or your organization, and hopefully are friendly and polite.  That will help tremendously, knowing that you shouldn't also have to worry about "crowd control" too much.  There's always someone who forgets to mute themselves; as the Host, you can mute everyone as needed.

On the ... menu of your Participants window, I'd recommend initially enabling the Mute Participants upon Entry option and disabling the Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves.  This will allow you to control the amount of "chatter" that goes on during the film.  You can enable the Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves option as you think prudent, but when it's time for the film, disable it and make sure everyone is muted.

Ray_Harwood_0-1687563197108.png

As the host, tell everyone that they can select the Standard View mode, and if all cameras are off, no one will be visible while the film is playing:

Ray_Harwood_1-1687564111992.png

We normally have an hour of discussion after the film showing, with 4 panelists.  Not sure if you will have some discussion after your film, but use your judgement on whether you let the conversation flow freely vs. taking a controlled approach.  If you briefly mention how you intend for it to work, in most situations, people will respect your announcement.

After the film is over and you've stopped Share Screen, you can use Spotlighting to control which people are shown for those that select Speaker View.  You can spotlight multiple people if their cameras are on. 

If something doesn't do quite right, don't worry. Stay calm. "Fix" whatever doesn't seem to be right, and move on. You'll get more confident and learn some new techniques along the way!  "Fake it til you make it" is good advice.

Reflect on how it went, jot down some notes, and come back here later and let me know how it went. In a few days, I'll reach out with a PM (private message) and we can discuss in a Zoom call if you like.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @Renay.

I’ve been playing each of six 30 minute documentary films once a month since January. This is  best done in a Webinar if the crowd is large or open to the public. You can do it in a Meeting with a small group of people you know, but other than that, I highly recommend a Webinar. 

In a Webinar, usually your panelists (if any) will be compliant with your request to mute and turn off their video. Then you as the Host set Attendee View to Standard, and the film will display full-screen for all attendees. Hosts, cohosts, and panelists will need to set their own displays to Standard. In a Meeting, you can set Focus Mode – I haven’t tried this for film play out, so try this to see how it works for you. 

The Zoom Video Player has a volume adjustment. I recommend logging in on a separate device and account as an attendee to verify volume level and appearance. 

Renay
Listener

Thank you so much @Ray_Harwood.  I really wish I had reached out sooner to receive such great support.  I started the Zoom account for my non-profit, and I’m so new trying to figure it all out. The showing is tomorrow at 330 PM, and I don’t have access to the Webinar fearture in Zoom.  I have a licensed account, but it does not include the Webinar.  I’m not sure what to do because postponing at the last minute may not be good for the organization.  Thank you for being so gracious. If you have any other help please feel free.  

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @Renay.

Don't worry, especially if this is to be an ongoing thing for you and your organization.  You'll have plenty of opportunities to "up your game" as time goes on.  I've been facilitating Zoom Meeting and Webinars for about 4 years now.

It seems like you might be working with attendees who are known to you and/or your organization, and hopefully are friendly and polite.  That will help tremendously, knowing that you shouldn't also have to worry about "crowd control" too much.  There's always someone who forgets to mute themselves; as the Host, you can mute everyone as needed.

On the ... menu of your Participants window, I'd recommend initially enabling the Mute Participants upon Entry option and disabling the Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves.  This will allow you to control the amount of "chatter" that goes on during the film.  You can enable the Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves option as you think prudent, but when it's time for the film, disable it and make sure everyone is muted.

Ray_Harwood_0-1687563197108.png

As the host, tell everyone that they can select the Standard View mode, and if all cameras are off, no one will be visible while the film is playing:

Ray_Harwood_1-1687564111992.png

We normally have an hour of discussion after the film showing, with 4 panelists.  Not sure if you will have some discussion after your film, but use your judgement on whether you let the conversation flow freely vs. taking a controlled approach.  If you briefly mention how you intend for it to work, in most situations, people will respect your announcement.

After the film is over and you've stopped Share Screen, you can use Spotlighting to control which people are shown for those that select Speaker View.  You can spotlight multiple people if their cameras are on. 

If something doesn't do quite right, don't worry. Stay calm. "Fix" whatever doesn't seem to be right, and move on. You'll get more confident and learn some new techniques along the way!  "Fake it til you make it" is good advice.

Reflect on how it went, jot down some notes, and come back here later and let me know how it went. In a few days, I'll reach out with a PM (private message) and we can discuss in a Zoom call if you like.

Good luck!

Thank you for posting this reply. I’m having the same issue - when I share screen (from IPAD PRO) - I cannot hear the audio myself.  It is extremely faint.  However, participants comment in the chat that it’s even “too loud” sometimes.  This has been the case sharing from a web based internet video streaming platform (gaia.com) and from the spotify app for music.

The other problem I am facing is that I cannot “see the room” when I “share my screen.”  For example, I host a guided meditation and I want light music playing in the background.  So, I “share screen” for the purpose of audio.  When I do that, everyone sees the spotify playlist.  I don’t want that.  Is there anyway to share audio without sharing the video of the source?

My other issue related to this is that when I “share the audio” from spotify - I can no longer see the participants in the room. All I see is one small window in the corner and the spotify app.  Is there any way for me to actually see my audience while “sharing screen.”

I know these are a lot of questions and I thank you in advance for even reading this.

I will try out your suggestions.

If I may, I have another “issue.”  When I am

Renay
Listener

You are a blessing and I truly appreciate your time this evening.  This is our organizations first time doing a movie screening, and the topic is very important to me and the audience.  You are welcome to attend.  We are showing The Fire That Took Her.  We made arrangements to have a Q&A with the director of this documentary immediately after the showing.  So, you see why I am nervous?  Fake It Till I Make It!   😀

Ray_Harwood

Sounds like a great opportunity.  I'd love to learn more!  

Perfect!