cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems opening chat window

drjulian
Listener

Using zoom for meetings, when I open the chat window, a blank screen appears. Sometimes I can close it and re-open the chat and the chat works, however, more often opening the chat crashes the program and the only way to close the program is using taskmanager.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled zoom several times and the same problem persists.

I am running windows 11

Any suggestions on what may be causing this behavior?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @drjulian welcome to the community! You are having a very interesting experience here. On my Windows device, I'm running Windows 11, Zoom 5.17.10 and have no problems with a black chat window. Would you mind sharing which version you are using? In theory, Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom application will install the most recent version from https://zoom.us/download. When the application crashes, your device does not provide Zoom with enough resources to run properly; to test, do you mind opening task manager and retesting to see if Zoom is using up all of your device's CPU and RAM when you replicate the issue. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

The only

drjulian
Listener

I posted an answer but for some reason it did not appear, so I am re posting it:

Thank you for your reply.

I did uninstall and re install zoom when I first had problems. It is set to auto update and the current version is

The performance when zoom opens is:

CPU: 12%
Memory: 43%

Disk: 0%

Network: 7%

GPU:  1%

When I open the chat window for the first time (black screen) the stats remain basically the same, with no change more then a couple of percent.

When I close it an open it again (finally works) the stats remain the same. No change.

Sometimes (not often) the program will lock up when I open the chat, and that is the biggest problem because when that happens I have to close zoom via the task manager and re open it and re join the meeting. Obviously this is very disruptive to the meeting, so I hesitate to use the chat because I do not know if it will crash or not.

The black screen happens EVERY time I open the chat, and on the second (or any subsequent) openings the chat is normal, however occasionally zoom will crash on the second opening.