cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Livestreaming to Facebook GROUPS now requires Custom RTMP

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Facebook has stopped live-streaming to Facebook Groups from any application as of today.  This includes Zoom's built-in  integration to livestream to Facebook.  Note: You should still be able to livestream to other Facebook endpoints -- just not to Groups.

Zoom did not make this change; it was made by Meta/Facebook.  This change was made by the implementation of Version 19.0 of the Facebook Graph API, which was released January 23, 2024, and became effective today, April 22, 2024.  

Ray_Harwood_0-1713821512365.png

To livestream to a Facebook Group, you must now use the Custom RTMP method of connecting a livestream.  See this Zoom Support article for information on how to do this from Zoom:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0064210

Unfortunately, this option requires a Licensed/paid account. Please note that I’m a Zoom Customer just like many of you. I don’t make the rules! If you’re a Basic user, your option to live-stream from Zoom to Facebook Groups at the moment is to upgrade to a Pro license. Consider streaming from OBS which is free and has the Custom RTMP capability built in without restriction. (info added here 25 April 2024)

References in Zoom documentation to being able to livestream to Facebook no longer include the ability to stream to Facebook Groups from the Zoom-Facebook integration.

Added 24 April 2024:

Watch this video to see how it can be done:

https://vimeo.com/938818658?share=zoomcommunity

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !
31 REPLIES 31

telbeavers
Listener

Thanks Ray....but this is still not working on my Macbook...could it be that my iOS isn't updated enough? My MacBook Air is about 7 years old. 

Ray_Harwood

@telbeavers, if you’re using Zoom, it should work if you are following the instructions using Custom RTMP. If you can provide some Screen shots (with personal info redacted) of your configuration and any error displays, I’ll try to help. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 8.00.38 AM.png

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @telbeavers.  If you are starting from an existing meeting, go to your meeting (just click the name of the meeting on the Zoom Web Portal),  and find this:

Ray_Harwood_0-1714003181541.png

Click on the Configure Custom Streaming Service and DELETE all of the information there.  You could actually copy/paste the information from Facebook here, but I prefer to do it "live" when I'm about to get started in the meeting.  If you select the Custom Streaming menu from the Livestream menu and there's already information here... it will attempt to use it.  But in most cases, what is there won't work anymore.

Hope that (and watching the video I made) helps!

shawn2019
Listener

There is no way to do Custom RTMP.  How can we feed into FB Groups?

Ray_Harwood

@shawn2019, no way to do Custom RTMP where? Plenty of applications have this capability, including Zoom, OBS, vMix, etc. 

Can not use that you feed zoom into a Facebook group

valemazza80
Listener

Do you think they'll fix/restore things back or from now on it just works with Custom RTMP?

Ray_Harwood

@valemazza80 - you'd have to ask Facebook/Meta about that... I have no indication that they will re-enabled live-streaming from integrated applications like Zoom.

Ray_Harwood

Watch this video to see how it can be done: 

https://vimeo.com/938818658?share=zoomcommunity

Hello again,  Ok so watching the video and when I open More there is only a Live on Facebook, no Custom option

YOu can see it here:  https://imgur.com/a/DX5BDQS

https://imgur.com/a/NFuLWAc

shawn2019
Listener

I am going to watch the video...  I will let you know if I till have a problem.  At first glance I do not see any option for Custom Live Stream .. but I will let you know soon.

telbeavers
Listener

Hey there Ray....video great...much appreciated....my Zoom doesn't have the options yours has...I do have a paid Zoom account....see screenshot....Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 8.10.05 AM.png

Ray_Harwood

Please check that the Custom Live Streaming option is enabled in Admin -> Account Management-> Account Settings -> In Meeting (Advanced) – scroll down (pretty far) to see:

Ray_Harwood_0-1714057778832.png

Unfortunately, this option isn’t currently available for Basic (free) accounts. 
https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0064210

Done....then I went back to start a meeting....and that option still isn't there...I have paid Zoom...but it's the first level.....Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 10.46.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-25 at 10.47.48 AM.png

Same problem here. I created a ticket but no answer. 

Its unbelievable that paying customers get no support. The chat bot is of no help either ....

I figured it out.

I locked the "Allow livestreaming of meetings" by clicking the lock symbol and then the setting showed up in my meeting.  

Aha.....I was hitting save and ignoring that lock.  This was the answer hit the lock and now it shows up!!  YAY...now to see if I can do the whole process

That worked for me too!    Once you click "LOCK" the holy grail opens up.     This is too taxing on my brain...   

Ray 

It will not allow me to upload screen shots.  

I have gone in and clicked Custom Live Streaming Service which was not clicked and unclicked Twitch so that I can see if these changes are made I hit save.  When I log out and log back in they are saved correctly.  Yay.....however when I open my zoom room to see if the Custom Live streaming is an option ...that option is not there and Twitch is still there along with the other three.  Does that make more sense

I do have the Pro account.....Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 10.50.18 AM.png

What is OBS that you mention?

Ray_Harwood

OBS – sometimes referred to by its full name, OBS studio – is a frequently used, free, well-performing, highly respected application that allows you compose “scenes” with various elements, including camera video, images, backgrounds, and more, along with control of audio sources. It is used by many streamers who “stream solo” – just them talking to their audience. 

See their website for more info: https://obsproject.com

I’ve used OBS for many years, mostly these days for recording videos – I used OBS to record the Vimeo video I referenced above. 

Ray 

I did this and clicked Custom Live Streaming however it has not changed  when I go to LIve stream.....is there a lag with Zoom in that it takes 24 hours to take effect.  I hit save.  What am I missing

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @CarrieSMagill.  I'm not sure what you mean by "it has not changed."  Can you maybe provide a screen shot of what you're seeing, and be specific about what the last step you completed in the process was?

KBofKingzSpeak
Listener

Good Morning Ray.

Will this need to be done every time we go live or just input once and Zoom saves the information?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @KBofKingzSpeak.

As with many questions, the answer I think is "it depends".

I believe (but haven't tested this) that if you create a "recurring meeting with no recurrence schedule" that the Custom RTMP data will remain attached to that meeting, and with the "Persistent" switch turned on in your Facebook settings, the data in Zoom will continue to match up with the data in Facebook.

If you start a new meeting every time, or if you live-stream to multiple groups, then yes, you'll have to copy the 3 data elements every time.

There is another solution!  Check out the Live Streaming app in Zoom's Marketplace here:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/apps/BXVkc6YUSQKunUAODGkgtg

This is a Zoom-created app (no third party involvement), and allows you to set up a number of stream settings that are persistent across your account.  Why have I not recommended it?  While the app works very well -- when it works -- I've seen too many people struggling with trying to get it to work, as there are nuances you have to be aware of (or willing to research) in order to resolve certain issues in getting it set up.  So I've "fallen back" to the Custom RTMP, which (once you do all the correct steps) "just works."

Give Zoom's Live Streaming app in the Marketplace a try, but please don't ask for assistance in this thread... maybe I'll start a new thread of "Here's another way to Stream to Facebook Groups", if there's interest.

shawn2019
Listener

I am happy to say I got it working!  Thank you!

NCCPres
Listener

Is this the fix for live-streaming to a Facebook Page, also?

PamelaNoxon
Listener

Thank you so much for all of this help! Question: do you have to do the key and urls every single time you live feed in to FB group?

lacledustyle
Listener

Thank you pour. cannot even find where to start 😞