cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I turn on caption (live transcript), would it notify the host and the participants?

jaykay
Listener

Wonder if the host and the participants would be notified if I turn on the caption (live transcript). I don't want to embarrass the team by turning it on. Sometimes it's hard to understand someone's accent. That's not their fault. I just want to understand better and communicate effectively with captions. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

alena_zlc
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Yes @jaykay the hosts and participants will receive a notice when the live transcript is enabled/disabled. 

View solution in original post

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @jaykay.

I think your answer is covered mostly by some of the responses so far, but I'd like to summarize them all in one place, if you don't mind.

If captions are not yet turned on and you attempt to enable them as an attendee, Hosts and Co-Hosts will see that a request has been made, and can approve or deny the request.  If captions have already been enabled, nobody but you can see that you enable or disable the visibility of the captions.

Any my personal opinion is that often Host's forget to enable captions, or aren't aware that they can (and in my opinion, should) "pre"-enable captions at the beginning of the meeting.  Don't be embarrassed or intimidated -- just click!  If anyone calls you out or refuses to enable it... it's probably not the type of people you want to associate with much! Just my opinion.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

alena_zlc

Hi @jaykay 

Thanks for your inquiry. I understand your concern, however at this time each time live transcription is turned on or off during a meeting, the host and participants on the call will hear or see a notice that this setting has been enabled/disabled. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not talking about the setting turning on and off. It's been on for most of the meetings I've been joining. I'm talking about the "show caption" button. If I click on the button to see the live transcript, would it still notify the host and participants? 

alena_zlc

Yes @jaykay the hosts and participants will receive a notice when the live transcript is enabled/disabled. 

JayOh
Listener

I have the same question @alena_zlc and you seem to have misunderstood the OPs question. As a participant (NOT A HOST) with no control over settings for anyone else, if I click the "show captions button" , will it trigger a notification to the hosts? When I click it, I do see live captions generate on my screen (as In want to), but again, I'm not a host and I have no permissions. Just an attendee. 

The question is framed from the perspective of an attendee. 

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @jaykay.

I think your answer is covered mostly by some of the responses so far, but I'd like to summarize them all in one place, if you don't mind.

If captions are not yet turned on and you attempt to enable them as an attendee, Hosts and Co-Hosts will see that a request has been made, and can approve or deny the request.  If captions have already been enabled, nobody but you can see that you enable or disable the visibility of the captions.

Any my personal opinion is that often Host's forget to enable captions, or aren't aware that they can (and in my opinion, should) "pre"-enable captions at the beginning of the meeting.  Don't be embarrassed or intimidated -- just click!  If anyone calls you out or refuses to enable it... it's probably not the type of people you want to associate with much! Just my opinion.

Well that answers my question and presumably the OPs; thanks. The organizations I engage with must keep them on by default then, as in 1,000 person meetings with 5 hosts, if I click show captions, they enable immediately without delay. 

Ray_Harwood

Nice!

Thank you for bringing it up! You clarified my question! 

Thank you! That's an awesome answer!