bertleatherman
Listener

Hi, I'm trying to imagine how this situation would work out:

1) I register a basic user on my account

2) I create a meeting with waiting room enabled

3) I allow the basic user registered on my account to bypass the waiting room

4) The basic user enters the meeting room and uses the key to claim host

5) The basic user (host) lets in 2 or more people from the waiting room

My question is the following: Would this meeting still be limited to 40 minutes even though I (the admin) have a paid account and the basic user enters my host key?

6 REPLIES 6

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @bertleatherman 

I just tested this - with a licensed and a Basic user - and it appears to work. With a couple of notes.

You will need to also enable "Allow participants to join anytime" to allow your Basic user to enter (and therefore start the meeting). Without this, the meeting will not get started - and there will be no Waiting Room to even bypass. The Waiting Room is not active until the meeting is started. 

The "Allow participants to join anytime" will only apply to the user(s) you have allowed to bypass your Waiting Room.

Once your user has joined, and therefore started, the meeting, as a Participant, they can then Claim Host using the instructions below . Then they can start allowing others through the Waiting Room. 

The meeting seems to inherit the license from the original account (it shows as an active meeting under that account).

Don't forget that giving someone your Host Key gives them access to any of your meetings that they are able to join.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205172555-Using-your-host-key#h_8b2de46c-afc6-44ff-a729-ea...

Hope this helps.

Rupert

Hi Rupert, 

Tagging on to this. If the basic user were to start the meeting for the licensed user, once the licensed user arrives, can the basic user can transfer host credentials to the licensed user and leave the meeting without it being interrupted? Assuming this, the call would still be cut off at the 40 minute mark.

My boss has a waiting room she utilizes and occasionally needs me to start the call if she is running behind; we haven't utilized the feature yet, but are trying to understand the process. 

Thank you!

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

This is dependent on who the original host of the meeting is. If the meeting was created by the licensed user and only started by the basic user, then the meeting would not be limited to 40-minutes. If the meeting was created AND started by the basic user, then it would be limited to 40-minutes. Passing of host controls in the actual meeting has no effect on the time limit, just whose account the meeting was created under. 

bertleatherman
Listener

Thanks Rupert. That’s really helpful. So the meeting doesn’t end automatically after 40 minutes?

bertleatherman
Listener

Also, do you know if I’m charged for the minutes participants are in the waiting room? My account has a certain number of minutes per month and I pay extra for overage. 

Bort

Hi @bertleatherman 

In the situation you described (someone joins, claims host, then allows 2 more in) would be limited to 40 minutes, as you have had 3 different joins to the meeting. 

As far as I am aware, Zoom does not charge by the minute for meetings, so there should be no extra charges.