cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client 5.16.0 - 5.16.5 Broken on 64Bit AMD

LarryWhitlock69
Listener

Unable to run Zoom Client 5.16 (64bit) on Windows 10 64bit. 

I have installed Zoom Client 5.16.0 - 5.16.5 trying both x86/x64, removed the clients using ZoomClean with a reboot in between. I even by passed the firewall but the 64bit clients do not work.

The MSI log looks like a successful install and process monitor is not showing any clue so far.

Zoom Client just never loads.

5.16.5.24296 (64bit) MSI Install log success - Client fails to load (Broken)
5.16.5.24296 (32bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works
5.16.2.22807 (64bit) MSI Install log success - Client fails to load (Broken)
5.16.2.22807 (32bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works
5.16.1.22523 (64bit) MSI Install log success - Client fails to load (Broken)
5.16.1.22523 (32bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works
5.16.0.22201 (64bit) MSI Install log success - Client fails to load (Broken)
5.16.0.22201 (32bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works
5.15.12.21574 (64bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works
5.15.12.21574 (32bit) MSI Install log success - Client Works

Something is broken with 5.16, there are not logs created anywhere that I can find except the MSI log file.

It looks like 5.15.12 is the last version of 64bit that will run in my environment.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Got it - sounds like a legit bug, unfortunately. Please raise with Zoom Support if you haven't done so already!

View solution in original post

The issue with Zoom 5.16.x 64Bit not being able to run on older AMD processors has been identified by support and should be resolved with Zoom 5.17.5 release.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

bstrelko

Are you able to replicate this on another AMD x64 machine?

Are you able to replicate on an Intel x64 machine?

If we can confirm the issue is specific to the AMD builds, this will likely need escalation to a Tier III+ team at Zoom Support - please open a ticket when you get a chance!

I can confirm 5.16.5 does work on Intel.

It is definitely an AMD vs Intel issue.

On AMD Host the Windows 10 64bit with 5.16.5 Client Installs successfully but does not load.

I shut down that same machine that will not load the zoom 5.16 client and moved it over to an Intel Host, Powered up and launched Zoom 64bit 5.16 with out issue on the Intel host. 

LarryWhitlock69
Listener

Yes, I have 13 different images that I deployed the 5.16 client to over the weekend and had to roll back on Monday morning to 5.15.

bstrelko

Got it - sounds like a legit bug, unfortunately. Please raise with Zoom Support if you haven't done so already!

Will do, I am Testing on Intel now and have MSI install Logs and Procmon pml files collected.

bstrelko

Just for the data point:

I booted an AMD x64 machine (Ryzen 9 3900x proc) I have over here and am running 5.16.2 (22807) without an issue on Win10-64. This does not appear to affect all AMDs, which explains the lack of noise from other users.

To be fair, you are correct this issue may be with older processors. The Desktop Server farm that is still in production is running on older AMD Opteron Processors. 

The issue with Zoom 5.16.x 64Bit not being able to run on older AMD processors has been identified by support and should be resolved with Zoom 5.17.5 release.

I have the same issue on AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T also in 5.17.5 version. I use x86 version now, but I am not able to turn on my camera. Because I collided with these issues at the same time, I think they can be connected with the same parameter in my system (CPU)

ifurman

5.16.5 works fine with my Ryzen 5600x

PCProf
Listener

I've the same issue on AMD computers, with Zoom version 5.16.6.  Clicking Zoom icon makes the program appear for a split second on Task Manager, then disappears.  No error on screen, nor in Event Log.  Rolled back to previous version, and it works fine.  I've several computers with the same hardware configuration, some with fresh windows 10 installs, and all behave the same way.

ifurman

Some users have been having issues with Zoom v 5.16 on Windows Servers 2016/2019 and some Windows pc's running older AMD cpu's. Zoom is aware of the issue and plans to fix it in its next release 5.16.10 by the end of the month.

In the meantime, try using 5.15.11 from here as it should work for you until 5.16.10 comes out,  https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

I installed 5.16.10, but the issue remains. Zoom loads—then immediately exits. Does any else still have the same issue, or was it resolved for them?

It wasn't fixed, and unlikely to get fixed in the future. Some people even said they were told by support to replace their hardware.

Your options:

1. Keep using 5.15.12 until it's not supported anymore (should be 5-8 months), then check again.

2. Install the current 32bit version, with whatever limitations it may have.

3. Use the web client (last resort, really) or use a smartphone.

4. get a new computer.

ifurman

Have you tried 5.16.10 32 bit version. Some users have reported it working for them when the 64 bit version did not work.

CliftonS
Listener

I can confirm that v5.17.7 DOES NOT WORK on Athlon II x645 AMD CPU. Version 5.15.11 works fine. This is frustrating. The problem is not whether older hardware is capable. There is another issue stalling newer versions working. I have another AMD computer with an A10-5700 CPU in it an it runs every version of Zoom I install on it. It is running v5.17.7 right now! So the point is older hardware is not entirely the problem. There is some other bug at work here.

yonizaf
Listener

Obviously this bug is not just about the CPU being 'old'. Why would the software care how much time passed since your hardware was released? This is about capabilities.

There are multiple SIMD extensions present in your A10 CPU that are not there in Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs, including: SSSE3, SSE4.2, AVX, and others. Any of these may now be required by Zoom or one of its dependencies, which would cause the software to not work anymore.

CliftonS
Listener

Frankly, it doesn't matter what people think about hardware. Some organizations are very large and include a very diverse set of users connecting by Zoom. The whole idea of Zoom is to be able to connect all of these users. To just have me tell everyone to get new hardware regardless of their circumstances doesn't make sense (sounds a little like Microsoft and the TPM issue). Hardware generally outlasts software requirements these days. Most ordinary (not business or tech) users get new hardware when something is broke beyond repair. The main reason why software requires more hardware nowadays is generally due to the software taking too long to complete its ops on older systems . . . not generally because the software requires a CPU routine that is unavailable. Besides SSE3, 4, etc. were never fully implemented by any software in a substantial way to require it in software, especially like Zoom. Zoom has never been very hardware heavy!

Kroduk
Listener

Have an old Phenom II 1100T PC.  It also cannot run Zoom client 5.17.10 64 bit.  If it was about processor capabilities, why would the 32 bit version be able to run and not the 64 bit?

Different compilation flags is all it takes. You may not need to change a single line of code, if you compile for a higher capability architecture (e.g AVX2), there's a high chance it will not run on older hardware.

32 and 64 bit are obviously compiled with different compilation settings, so there.

The same issue on my old Phenom II 810

Perhaps the problem is related to the lack of SSE 4.2 instruction in older CPUs

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/Illegal-Instruction-SSE-42-POPCNT-exc/10520578

A similar bug was fixed in Visual Studio 2022 version 17.9.1 - "Fixed a bug where the libconcrt.lib used when static linking could contain an SSE 4.2 instruction that was illegal on older X64 systems."

My main issue with all this is, whatever the reason for it not working on 64 bit, why does the 32 bit version still work?  Doesn't make sense to me.  That 32 bit version is working fine with the Phenom II 1100T.  I design PCBs for a living so my software knowledge with these kinds of things is a bit lacking.

I think this is a bug (developers do not always have a computer with an old CPU to see the problem)

bstrelko

100%. There is very little rhyme or reason for the cutoffs by Zoom dev, nor is there interest in supporting the handful of old processors still out there in the wild when there are exponentially more modern machines running the software.

This is not Microsoft, this is a tiny company that exploded during 2021 and has a tremendous backlog of bugs, feature 'requests' (mainly bugs, or dev oversights), etc and continues to expand their product-line laterally while their core product is given inadequate attention.

Don't hold your breath for a dignified/logical answer from engineering, let alone support for Phenom II on x64 🙂

CliftonS
Listener

Anyone try Zoom v16.0.0 x64 on older AMD hardware with success?

The last previously successful x64 version on an AMD Athlon II X4 645 is v5.15.11.

All versions work on my AMD A10-5700 and on an AMD A8-4500 system.

Kroduk
Listener

I tried it a few days back when it came out.  64bit still doesn't work but the 32bit version still runs normally.  Shame really that the 32bit should still run but the 64bit doesn't.