cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can participants change their Display Name when joining a meeting through link without logging in?

Listener

I know that when participants join a meeting through the app by entering the Meeting ID, they can change/decide on their Display Name without logging in.

But, can they do that when joining a meeting through the meeting link?

If they can, how?

I'm asking because my workplace often use Zoom for events and we ask participants to change their Display Name depending on the event. So I want to provide various tutorials on how to change their Display Name.

3 REPLIES 3

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi 563414,

i think the rename option works in both cases as long as allow participants to rename themselves is enabled.  when attending zoom classes for continuing education credit, i have to rename myself to include my state license number.  i usually access the class with a link.

zoom support article states:

How to change your name on Zoom when joining a meeting

When you join a Zoom meeting (on the desktop client, mobile app, or web client), you can enter the meeting ID number and have the option to update your name.

If you're signed in, change your name if you don't want your default name to appear. If you're not signed in, enter a display name that will appear to other meeting participants.

How to change your name on Zoom during a meeting

When the Allow participants to rename themselves setting is enabled, you have the option to rename yourself during a meeting. When hosts disable this setting, you will not see the option to rename yourself.

Changing your name on Zoom – Zoom Support

thanks, eliot

I have the same problem as the OP.  When you join via the link in a meeting invitation, you do NOT get the option to change your name before joining the meeting.  I've run into this many times.

Unfortunately, if the host doesn't recognize your unusual name and boots you, you're hosed until the next meeting (unless they agree to stop and restart the whole meeting).

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Contact the host outside of Zoom. The meeting host or the Zoom admin may have disallowed the ability to rename yourself. Ask them how to proceed.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!