cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio looping after Monterey OS update

morning_soul
Listener

I am getting a short  ~1/2 second audio loop sporadically coming on calls well after they start.

Details:

Recently upgraded to Monterey OS on a new M1 chip MacBook Pro

Audio looping is only audible on the other end of the zoom call (not on my end)

This has occurred 3 times in the past week.  Twice with a user who was in a zoom room at our company.  Once with an individual using his laptop and headphones.

In all instances, this occurs well into the meeting. 20-40 minutes

Any others experienced this?  Would seem to be a software artifact rather than hardware since it is not present at the start of the meetings. 

43 REPLIES 43

robbies
Listener

I do not have a Logitech camera. I do have a Mac desktop with M1 chip. I have an external microphone that is not a USB mic, it is run through a small board and then a converter to plug into the back of the computer using a USB-C outlet. Everything was working fine. Then my audio kept disappearing on calls. Now twice I've had loops happen. One happened within seconds of getting on Zoom. Guest left and rejoined. I plugged my mic into a different USB-C outlet. Issue resolved. Not clear what fixed it.

I produce virtual events for a living. I am so annoyed by this new M1 chip computer with only 8 Ram (no upgrade possible) and now this issue.

That's interesting, that'll be the first instance of something that isn't a Logi(tech) webcam doing it. What webcam are you using - something else, or the Mac's own?
What you do have are the other consistent factors - a Mac, and what sounds like a USB convertor or USB hub. 
I can tell you what does work for me without the loops I previously had - using a Rode Rodecaster Pro 2 for the audio interface (it has USB out as a socket - so you can use a C cable. And an Ankerwork B600 camera. Hope that helps, would be great to know what exact equipment you're running for audio and video. Maybe Logi's factory makes it 😉

Not the first instance. It happened to me with an Anker C300 which has USB-C so it plugs directly in to the Mac. (No hub, no converter.) Compelling evidence that it's a problem with MacOS, not the 3rd party cam or mic.

Likely, using a different port is irrelevant and just unplugging/replugging solved the problem (until it happens again, that is).

I recommend you contact Apple for support. They need to hear the system is misbehaving, else they won't know they need to fix it. (I've called but more people need to.)