cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turn off sound when guest joins meeting

ctea
Listener

Hi i'm on a meeting and noticed the sound goes off when a guest joins. Is there a way to turn off the sound? If not how to resolve this? thanks

4 REPLIES 4

yesse
Listener

Sure, here's how I would approach the situation where the sound goes off when a guest joins a Zoom meeting and I want to either turn off the sound temporarily or resolve the issue:

During the meeting, I noticed that the sound tends to go off whenever a new guest joins. To tackle this, I'd consider a few steps:

**1. Muting Individual Participants:**

- I'd first check if the sound disruption is coming from a specific guest. If it is, I could solve the problem by muting that participant.

- I'd find their name in the participant list, click on the "More" button (three dots), and select "Mute."

**2. Muting All Participants Upon Entry:**

- In case the issue seems to affect multiple participants, I might opt to mute all participants when they join. This could be especially helpful for large meetings or presentations.

- As the host, I'd navigate to the "Participants" list, click "More" in the bottom right corner, and select "Mute All."

**3. Verifying Audio Settings:**

- If the problem persists, I'd encourage participants to double-check their microphone and speaker settings. They can do this by clicking on the "^" arrow next to the microphone icon in the Zoom toolbar.

**4. Suggesting a Reconnect:**

- Sometimes, audio issues can be resolved by having the participant experiencing the problem leave the meeting and then join back in. This often refreshes the audio connection.

**5. Updating Zoom and Drivers:**

- To ensure that the issue isn't related to outdated software or drivers, I'd remind everyone to use the latest version of Zoom and keep their audio drivers up to date.

**6. Changing Audio Devices:**

- If someone uses an external audio device like a microphone or headphones, I'd recommend trying a different device to see if that solves the issue.

**7. Checking Network Quality:**

- I'd advise everyone to verify their internet connection quality. Poor network conditions can lead to audio problems. If possible, a wired connection might provide better stability.

**8. Reconnecting as Host:**

- If I, as the host, were experiencing sound disruptions, I'd also consider leaving the meeting and then rejoining to see if that clears up the issue.

If none of these steps seem to work and the audio problem persists, I'd suggest contacting Zoom's technical support or looking for assistance in the Zoom online community. It's essential to communicate with the meeting participants, informing them of the steps to address the sound issue and ensuring they are updated on progress.

Yesse Ordonez, MBA candidate
Communications Director

Wai-WENDY
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

If you are the host, go to Settings > In Meeting (Basic) in your Zoom web portal, find the option "Sound notification when someone joins or leaves" and make sure it is turned off. It seems that the situation you describe is from this feature. This approach works best when taken before a meeting, as I am not sure if changing this setting will take effect immediately during an ongoing meeting. 

If you are the host/co-host during a meeting, click "Participants" in the meeting controls, and then the three dots in the bottom-right corner of the panel, uncheck the option "Play sound when someone joins or leaves". (Refer to the screenshot below) 

20230901183037.png

I don't think you can turn off the sound as an attendee. If you would like to, you need to have some communication with the host. 

THANK YOU

imran22
Listener

you can change that from security settings.