cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom fails to launch after upgrade to v5.16.0

CliftonS
Listener

Hello,

I upgraded today from v5.15.11 to v5.16.0 and now Zoom will not launch. The process shows up briefly in Task Manager and then exits. If I uninstall and downgrade back to v5.15.11 all is fine. I have several other office computers and the upgrade works without issue, but one computer just will not run the v5.16.0 update.

Basic computer details:

Quad core AMD CPU; windows 10 home; 8Gb RAM; 512 Gb SSD; Acer motherboard

NOTE: The upgrade on this system looks like it went fine, but Zoom will not launch. Downgrade back to v5.15.x and all is fine again. This computer has been running Zoom without issue since 2020 so I'm not likely to say it is a computer issue. The system uses basic Windows Defender, but the problem occurs with Defender enabled or disabled.

Your help is very appreciated,
Clifton

17 REPLIES 17

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Zoom uses cookies and cache that can get corrupted. Sometimes a regular uninstall leaves the corrupted cookies / cache behind.

Run CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely

To remove Zoom completely, including any configuration files, run CleanZoom on your device.

1. Download and run CleanZoom (updated July 25, 2023).
    Note: Use of the clean uninstaller will completely remove the Zoom desktop client, as well as the Zoom plugin for Outlook. The Outlook add-in, Chrome/Firefox extensions, and Google Workspace add-on are unaffected.
  2. Once completed, download Zoom from our download center and reinstall

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Sorry, but this probbaly won't fix the issue. They need to uninstall this version and install the previous version.

CliftonS
Listener

Thank you for your help.

I ran the CleanZoom program as recommended, then reinstalled v5.16.0. However, Zoom will still not launch and the problem remains.

Other comments?

Install the previous version. That will fix your problem.

CliftonS
Listener

It is noteworthy that when the v5.16.0 installer completes, there is no Zoom icon on the desktop and the program does not auto-launch when the installation completes. There are no other error messages, etc. Windows Defender is OFF and no other security software is installed. So that is not a problem either.

Right. Zoom broke this version with the update. Install the previous version and you'll be ok. First uninstall the previouys one completely however. 

Frank_TB

HI,

Do you have the accounts that you can log into on this computer?

I would be curious to know if the issue is just for this account or all accounts on the computer.

Also, are you certain that you installed the 64 bit version and not the 32 bit version?

Regards

CliftonS
Listener

Just one account. Administrator. One user.

Frank_TB

Add another account and see if it persists. If it does not persist then that Windows account has the issue.

I decided to completely restore my hard drive from a backup made via Macrium from 2 months ago. Once the restore was complete, I tried to upgrade Zoom to v5.16.x and nada. It still fails to launch. Restoring v5.15.x still okay. I'm beginning to think there is some issue with the upgrade. I use several other zoom sessions on other computers and am hesitant to upgrade them until this is fixed. I do not believe the issue is account related.

fiz
Listener

I wrestled with this nonsense yesterday and today. Zoom's latest update broke the desktop client (in my case). I uninstalled and re-installed several times and did a number of other things thinking it was a problem on my end, but it's zoom's problem. From the latest updated version to the one before is broken during the update. I fixed 'my' problem by uninstalling the broken version and installing the previous version. Hopefully zoom will fix this so future updates don't cause similar problems.

gabriel74vega
Listener

Tengo la misma configuración , y se me presentó el mismo problema que describes. Lo acabo de resolver ejecutando CleanZoom ( Tal como escribe fran_tb) y luego reinstalando Zoom. Pero descargando la versión de ZOOM 32Bits y no la de 64bits (aunque la CPU y el sistema operativo sean de 64Bits.)

CliftonS
Listener

I tried the above suggestion and confirm that v5.16.2 WILL INSTALL and LAUNCH as expected AS LONG AS YOU USE THE 32bit VERSION. The 64bit version will not install or run unless I downgrade to v5.15.11.

I consider this a ZOOM BUG and is not an issue with my computer. Although other computers in my office upgrade to the 64bit v5.16.x, there should be no reason why one machine fails. It used to run the 64bit version without a problem.

Ihatezoomupdate
Listener

I have the same problem. I did a system restore then turned off the automatic update on zoom. Can we send the people at zoom a message that their most recent upgrade has a bug!!! Please.

DFiletti
Listener

I would love to know how to downgrade so that the app works again, I have had a ticket in since Monday and have no resolution from Zoom. If you can, please let me know. Thanks!

Uninstall your current version of zoom.

Go to this page:  https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

And install a previous [working] version

You should be able to use zoom as normal, and do NOT update.

I am not going to update my version for several weeks or a few months. I do not trust the zoom-people to do this correctly. I will give the zoom 'team' plenty of time to try and get this right. If I lose another day's pay to this nonsense they will be getting a bill from me. Tread lightly, and hopefully your experience(s) fair well.

CliftonS
Listener

You can uninstall Zoom and download an earlier version. The latest one you can get from Zoom is v5.15.11, but it works fine. The 64bit version works as long as it is from the v5.15.x branch.

Or you can uninstall Zoom and use the 32bit version of the v5.16.x branch and it will work fine. This is what I did until a fix is provided by the Zoom engineers.